Paint Kitchen Cabinets With Chalk Paint

$200

We recently moved into our home, and the kitchen was dark and outdated. For around $200, I completely updated our kitchen by using chalk paint on the cabinets. If you have a little patience, the result is wonderful!
paint kitchen cabinets with chalk paint, chalk paint, diy, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting
My kitchen feels so bright and cheery now. I used Annie Sloan Old Ochre for the top cabinets and Versailles for the bottom cabinets.
This was my kitchen before. It was dark...
Removing the cabinets was time consuming, but the result is well worth the time!
I painted and waxed everything.
*UPDATE* I ended up repainting my cabinets a couple years later because I did not like the wax sealer. The chalk paint itself held up well, but the wax was next to impossible to clean. To see more details on why I repainted them, go to the link below:
Sara @ sincerely, sara d.

• Chris Adams Johnson

Would chalk paint work on Formica? If so, what's the prep?

• C.B.

I would suggest the sanding of the formica surface; that roughs up the surface so that paint adheres to the underlying surface.

• Pat15649780

If there are so many "pins" and "ideas" on painting laminate, Formica counter tops why can't laminate cabinets be painted?

• Lynn

Over the years, I have learned that you can paint anything. BUT-you need to properly prep the material to be painted--use the correct primer--and the correct paint. Big box stores are great for many things but for advice on painting 'unusual' things, an old-fashioned paint store can't be beat!

• Patricia Gort

Can I make and use my own ‘chalk‘ paint Then finish with polyvinyl over the cupboard doors and drawers - they get the most hard use. I make it with unsanded grout mixed with water till smooth then add the paint... always in small batches.

• Dona taylor

Please don't use your own chalk paint! Use the best on the market, Annie Sloan chalk paint, give it two coats of Annie Sloan wax and you're done! Why risk your hand made paint when AS is fool proof!

• Lynne

i have a 50 year old mid century buffet, and i painted the formica top, and i sanded with 100 grit sand paper. i then painted with kilz primer, and light sanding between coats. i will paint it with acrylic paint, then poly. i didn't think i could paint it but i have to thank the people on home talk for all kind of tips. you did a lovely job on your cabinets

• Theresawilliams

No my cabinets are knotted pine? Even tho I would like to change the apperance this process would not work for me.