How do I lay a set of stairs over another set of stairs?

+1
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jan 13, 2019

Hi Darlene,

I am not quite sure what your project is or what you are trying to do with laying a set of stairs over another set of stairs. Do you intend to cover 1 set with another? Is the first set damaged and you want to fix by putting another set over them?

• 2dogal 2dogal on Jan 13, 2019

Why do you want to lay another set of stairs over the first? You can replace the steps and risers individually. You can also remove the laminate, tile or carpeting to redo them.

• Darla Darla on Jan 13, 2019

You don't say if these stairs are in your house or on a deck but either way I wouldn't. Stairs are built with a certain height between steps for comfortable and safe use. Laying one set of stairs on top of another would look off and feel off when you use them. Beyond that I would check with your zoning board to see if it is legal.

If your going to all the trouble of building new stairs anyway, rip out the old and install the new. Will take more time (maybe) but will definitely look, feel and be better.

If they're off a deck then other than the spacing of the steps there is the width to consider as well as making sure they are well supported and secured. And I like at least one railing for safety. The necessary support will depend on the length and rise of the steps. And if the steps are quite long you will need pickets on the railing so a small child can't get stuck or fall through.

If the steps are in a house then you have a whole new set of requirements and you will definitely need to check with your area zoning board as to their requirements. Do you need a permit as this is a big change in the house. Is the head clearance at the top and bottom correct so no one bumps their heads? How wide should they be as to what they were.

You are talking a major project here and you need to consider all the facts before starting.

See if you can get some free estimates and what the professionals tell you is their recommendations. You don't have to go with them but you will have an idea of what your looking at.

• Bijous Bijous on Jan 13, 2019

Hi. If you want to cover construction grade wood with a hardwood tread and riser, there are retro-fit ones sold at the big box stores or sold online. You then nail them to the existing stair. Good luck.