Margaret
Margaret
  • Evergreen Park, IL
Asked on Jan 13, 2019

How do I remove an old toilet seat?

Grammyzoo2BOB.D.Keto
+3

I have a toilet seat that WILL NOT come off . I have tried several times to unscrew the bolts but it will not come loose???!!

• Redcatcec

Hi Margaret,

You may have to cut through them with a hack saw blade .

• Rebecca Taylor

Hi Margaret, here is a site that gives you tips on how to get the bolts to loosen up.

https://www.hunker.com/12497033/how-to-remove-a-toilet-seat-with-stuck-nuts

• Keto

Try a penetrating oil like wd-40. if that doesn't work, use a hacksaw like suggested by another poster but protect the ceramic with painters tape so you don't scratch it.

• BOB.D.

Are there nuts on the under side of toilet that have to be held to remove screws ?

• Grammyzoo2

I have discovered that vinegar works wonders in the bathroom.

If you can somehow attach a tiny cup of vinegar to the under sides. I know how dorky it sounds but I’ve done it, like with little plastic dipping sauce vessels. Tape them on the pot after filling with vinegar. Let the just stay there for a day or so. Remove, wipe with paper towel, then spray with WD40 and let that settle in for however long it takes. You should be able to loosen bolts.

Mid none of the above works, remember you’re workin upside down. Righty tighty, left loosey!!!

Imagine doing things backwards.

It happens!! Good luck.

BTW. PLAIN WHITE VINEGAR