Asked on Jan 14, 2019

How do you prune Vine Roses on a fence?

Rebecca TaylorDeanna Nassar

I have two rose bushes that are the vine variety and are interlaced with one another and on my white picket fence. How do I prune them and when? They are massive and need some tending to.

• Deanna Nassar

Prune dead wood as you see it. If they are just too much growth you can cut them back almost to the ground in the fall. In Spring you can trim back to shape them up and confine them to their trellis. Leaves and pine needles make a good cover for the roots over winter. Since they are runners they'll make quick work of covering the area again. A little rose food placed around can be give fall or spring.

• Deanna Nassar

Not sure there's much to do now. There were a few years I didn't get mine covered and they survived anyway. You can still put some mulch around them. Then follow through with the prune in spring. Not sure about my zone but I live in central VA

• Rebecca Taylor

Hi Prairie, here is a link to very informative information on pruning them. I bet when they bloom they are absolutely beautiful. Here is the link;

https://www.finegardening.com/article/pruning-climbing-roses

• Prairie Porch

Thank you so very much and yes they are amazing!! Just running a muck a little too much this last summer :)

• Rebecca Taylor

You are so welcome. Roses are my favorite flower. I have my bedroom done in roses. They are just so beautiful.