Asked on Jan 14, 2019

How do I remove wallpaper?

Jenni IngramRaeCelebrate & Decorate (Chloe Crabtree)
+1

• I find a steamer is the easiest way. There are also sprays you can use. First, score the wall with a scoring tool and then hold a steamer over a small section and scrape the wallpaper off. If you don't want to buy a steamer, many hardware stores rent them.

• Rae

we bought a 150 yr old house many years ago. Some of the rooms had several layers of wallpaper on top of 1 another. The best thing that I found that worked for me was liquid fabric softener. Put it in a spray bottle and mix equal parts of water with it. Score a small area first with the tool (I did a 2x4’ area) & then spray with the fabric softener and water mixture. Let it soak in for a couple of minutes. Then start scraping it off. Sometimes the paper layer would come off first, but just keep reapplying the liquid mixture and go at it again. I let all of the paper mess just hit the floor and let it dry. Then I used a broom to sweep it up and then I vacuumed. Your room will smell very fresh. It doesn’t matter what brand of softener you use, I just bought it at the family dollar store. I did multiple rooms this way in a few houses and it worked great for me. Good luck with your room! Renee

• Jenni Ingram

I've successfully removed wallpaper by spraying it first with a mix of fabric softner and water, let it soak a bit, then scrape it off with a putty knife. A bit tedious, but it works!