DIY Anchor Floor Mat

$20

It is easy to DIY customize a floor mat. I wanted a memory foam type mat for my kitchen but they only came in solid colors. So, I decided to customize one myself. This project is not necessarily money saving, but it is a great way to customize something if you just enjoy crafts and DIY projects.

diy anchor floor mat

Start with the fabric mat of your choice. It needs to be a dark color for this to work. I used navy blue.

Like I said, this one was foam. I think from Bed Bath and Beyond. Remove all thew tags etc.

diy anchor floor mat

I recommend using chalk to trace your design onto your mat. You could also freehand the design later, but I found it much easier to make mistakes with chalk that would easily wash off.

diy anchor floor mat

Use a clorox bleach pen to trace your chalk design. Put it on thick.

diy anchor floor mat

Let the bleach sit for a little bit. I waited 1 hour.

diy anchor floor mat

Rinse the bleach off in the tub or sink. I let it dry flat in the tub over night. I was not happy with how white it was (or wasn't). So, I repeated the process three times to get my desired whiteness.

diy anchor floor mat

Ta-da! enjoy your newly decorated floor mat. It's still washable and easy to use!

• Dark colored mat
  • Bleach pen
  • Bathtub or sink
Morgan McBride

• Maid Of The Mist

How about taking a small cutting tool and after drawing your figure, cut out the rug fabric?

• Amy Aube

Exactly, you wouldn’t cut the rug but shave it like high end bath mats.

• Nanny

When you rinse off the bleach pen doesn't it run all over the mat in bleached out streaks ? Or blotches ?

• Rebecca

I haven’t tried it on the rug but one year before we went to Disney World I made shirts for everyone and I used a bleach pen to put a Mickey head on the shirts I never had any issues with it bleaching any other part of the shirt when I rinsed it out.

• Kelly

Won't the bleach mess up the rubber under the matt if too much bleach is added?

• Andrea

Clorox bleach prevents are so thick, like a gel, so it doesn't soak through! Good luck!