How to Decoupage With Pretty Pink Roses on a Lampshade Project

$8

I wanted a warm pretty lampshade to compliment my bedroom and found just the perfect plain lampshade in need of a make over in my local charity shop.

The shade is nice shape and well made just perfect to dress up with pretty paper flowers. I thought the piping that was already on it would compliment well the colors I chose to decorate too.

I chose Paw decoupage Decor selection of paper serviettes in two different rose designs.

Paper rose design Serviettes

It is important to cut around the shape you want with good sharp scissors and separate the tissue layers once cut, by blowing gently into the edge. It should just peel away then easily. It is delicate and careful not to tear. Just use the top printed layer to stick on the shade. I started from the top and worked downwards.

Separate top layer of tissue.

I use sponge applicators that have a good soak up and I use Modpodge waterbase adhesive and sealer in Matte finish. I didn't want the outside to be shiny so Matt finish is best for light shades I find gives a better glow.

use Matte Modpodge to stick roses on shade

Keep filling up each panel going all the way to edges with your paper roses both small and large whatsoever the space dictates and over lap is necessary to make sure no gaps.

Is best to soak both shade and also over the top of the whole paper piece so it is firm and adhered making sure any wrinkles and air bubbles are gently pressed out with sponge as you go.

Modpodge gently over the tissue paper

I wanted to pretty it more with a pink bobble trim along edges. I used more Modpodge along edges to gently feed trim around and stick down in place on top and bottom of shade. it needs to pressed firmly and takes about an hour to dry fully.

Using Modpodge to stick bobble trim on edges

I am thrilled with the final piece transformed into a real pretty delicate roses lampshade.

How to Decoupage Pink Roses Lampshade project

To see more: http://www.amazon.co.uk/handmade/Susan-Goode-Designs

• Linda

What size wattage bulb can you use with this lamp shade? Will the bulb cause the Mod Podge to melt?

• Jacx

Be sure to check when buying LEDs that you get a warm white! The cool version is too cold for this lovely romantic shade!

• Cindy Murphy Carpenter

Can you paint the lamp

shade? Cindy Carpenter

• Maureen

I have painted many lampshades..you can use spray paint or craft paint.

• Carol White Etchison

Beautiful! Do you have to clean the shade before you decorate, if so what do you use if it’s really dusty?

• Jacx

You can use a soft brush as it won't wet the dirt. You can also use the soft brush on the vacuum.

• Amber

You took it from mundane to classy. I've seen some done on Pintrest but they seemed over done. I like yours much better and will do mine more like your taste. Thank you!

• Doreen Kennedy

Beautiful idea. Thanks, I’ve been racking my brain trying to come up with something to cover my ugly lamp shades.