Pretty Pink Roses Decoupage Lampshade up Cycle

$8

I wanted a warm pretty lampshade to compliment my bedroom and found just the perfect plain lampshade in need of a make over in my local charity shop.

The shade is nice shape and well made just perfect to dress up with pretty paper flowers. I thought the piping that was already on it would compliment well the colors I chose to decorate too.

I chose Paw decoupage Decor selection of paper serviettes in two

Paper rose design Serviettes
Paper rose design Serviettes

It is important to cut around the shape you want with good sharp scissors and separate the tissue layers once cut, by blowing gently into the edge. It should just peel away then easily. It is delicate and careful not to tear. Just use the top printed layer to stick on the shade. I started from the top and worked downwards.

Separate top layer of tissue.
Separate top layer of tissue.

I use sponge applicators that have a good soak up and I use Modpodge waterbase adhesive and sealer in Matte finish. I didn't want the outside to be shiny so Matt finish is best for light shades I find gives a better glow.

use Matte Modpodge to stick roses on shade

Keep filling up each panel going all the way to edges with your paper roses both small and large whatsoever the space dictates and over lap is necessary to make sure no gaps.

Is best to soak both shade and also over the top of the whole paper piece so it is firm and adhered making sure any wrinkles and air bubbles are gently pressed out with sponge as you go.

Modpodge gently over the tissue paper
Modpodge gently over the tissue paper

I wanted to pretty it more with a pink bobble trim along edges. I used more Modpodge along edges to gently feed trim around and stick down in place on top and bottom of shade. it needs to pressed firmly and takes about an hour to dry fully.

Using Modpodge to stick bobble trim on edges

I am thrilled with the final piece transformed into a real pretty delicate roses lampshade.

Decoupage Pink Roses Lampshade
Decoupage Pink Roses Lampshade

To see more: http://www.amazon.co.uk/handmade/Susan-Goode-Designs

• Joy

so cute!.....I just love that little table.....did u make that too?

• Susan Goode

Thank you and yes I make and sell my items though I do use them a lot too as so functional as well as pretty!

• Linda

What size wattage bulb can you use with this lamp shade? Will the bulb cause the Mod Podge to melt?

• Susan Goode

I have 30 watt and is fine and someone suggested led as alternative .

• Cindy Murphy Carpenter

Can you paint the lamp

shade? Cindy Carpenter

• Maureen
      30 minutes ago

I have painted many lampshades..you can use spray paint or craft paint.

• Sassy

What a beautiful lamp...you can really purchase some lovely items from resale shops that can be transformed into works of art. Thanks for sharing.

• Melody

Gorgeous! I may try this idea on my own boring lampshade!