How do I plant seed and what kind of soil I can use?

+2

Hi I would like to know .How to plant seed.and what kind of soil I can use,Thanks Leslie

• Darla Darla on Jan 15, 2019

Hi, your not saying what kind of seed but most have instructions on the packs when you buy them. The instructions will tell you how early to plant and how much sunlight and water they need. You can use a lot of different thIngs to plant them in from egg cartons to buying seed starting kits. As for soil, they also sell staring soil at most of your home improvement stores. I have used egg cartons (the part that the eggs actually sit in) as well as the peat moss cups and starting pellets. And they have all worked well. Follow seed pack instructions for how deep to plant them then water lightly cover with a clear wrap if you didn't buy a starter kit and put in a sunny window. Don't water so much that the water is soggy or the dirt and seeds will mildew. Then sit back and wait for them to sprout.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jan 15, 2019

In ground or pots? New garden? When I start a garden I remove the grass, till and remove any clumps of roots and weeds that I see. Because you also remove soil when you take up the grass, I replace it with potting soil, manure and some peat moss to bring it back up over the soil level. It will compact back down with walking on it, rain, etc. This gives the seeds or plants a good start before the roots go into the lower soil that wasn't tilled with the good mixture into the soil. It worked for me really well. The second spring of the garden I added more potting soil to compensate for settling before I tilled it. The third spring I added a little more potting soil and sterilized manure. I didn't put the manure in every year, the neighbor that helped us out with the tiller said that it worked well every other year for him, and it worked for me. I used miracle grow on my veggie garden on the soil only. It was the reasonably priced one that worked for everything, there wasn't much available that I could find back then, like there is now. I use granules now that works for an extended time and don't have to fertilize but every three months or once a season where I live. When it comes to planting seed, the packets will tell you how deep to plant them and approximately how long it will take to germinate. Keep them moist, but not too wet until they germinate. Don't let the soil get too dry until they are established and have a good root system.

• What kind of seed? For the lawn? Or flower seeds? What zone are you in?

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Jan 15, 2019

You can use poting soil and start seeds in egg cartons or small pots. Have fun

• Ralphy babes Ralphy babes on Jan 15, 2019

Sorry to say this but go too U Tube or askgoogle GOOD FOR BEGGINERS or get a book about allotments I go all my own veg fruit etc in UK.