Dress Up Your Ceilings With Faux Tin Ceiling Tiles

$45

Have you ever been in a house built in the early 1900's that had the original pressed tin ceilings? My great grandmother had them in her bathroom and I remember being fascinated by her "fancy" ceiling even though the metal tiles were rusted and chippy. Did you know you can buy faux tin ceiling tiles at a fraction of the cost of the real thing that are incredibly easy to put up? We installed some in our

dress up your ceilings with faux tin ceiling tiles

BEFORE- We started off with a blank space when we added a downstairs half bath room. My vision for the new bathroom was to incorporate materials that would have been original to our home built in 1915.

The faux tin ceiling tiles we used come in 2' X 4' panels. They're actually thermoformed plastic that are lightweight, can be cut with scissors, are paintable, and are glued to the ceiling. They snap together so putting them up is a breeze. We decided not to paint ours and left them white.

Since the panels are plastic, they work well on ceilings in areas that get high humidity such as bathrooms with showers. Since they aren't real tin metal tiles, you don't have to worry about them rusting.

The first step was marking the center of the ceiling in both directions.

After that, we applied the adhesive to the ceiling. Or you can apply it to the back of the panels instead.

Instead of cutting out the holes for the ceiling box and fan ahead of time, they were cut with a razor knife once the glue had time to set. The outline of the boxes was easily felt through the panels. Be sure to cut off the power before you do the cuts.

*Many have asked if you can apply these faux tin ceiling panels over popcorn ceiling. According to the manufacturer, yes you can! The popcorn ceiling must be clean and low-textured. For best results, prime the popcorn ceilings first. They also recommend using more adhesive in large dollops to the back of the panels. This will help to self-level them. Their recommended adhesive is Locktite Powergrab for panels which sets quickly and is waterproof.

*The cost of our project does includes the (2) 2' X 4' panels which were about $20 each and the adhesive, both from Amazon (links are below before you get to the comments).

The 3/4" wide X 1/2" thick trim around the panels was made by ripping down a board we had in the garage into strips, so I didn't include that in the cost.

Our ceiling / powder room is 4.5' X 5' so it was about $2 per square foot.

Some of the other commenters said they've seen the panels at Menards and online at Home Depot. You can do a search for "glue up plastic tin ceiling panels" to make sure you're getting the best deal.

There's a close up picture of the ceiling and more details on how we installed the panels on our blog.

AFTER- Instead of running the faux ceiling tiles all the way across the ceiling, we left a 5'' gap from the edge of the wall. We then trimmed it out with 3/4" flat trim and added the final touch, crown molding. It gives the illusion that the crown molding is taller. I really love the vintage feel it gives the room!

To see the powder room once we finished everything and got it decorated by clicking here to the room reveal.

Tricia @ Simplicity In The South

• Judy

Will these accumulate mold between the ceiling and the panel due to moisture in bathroom... I worry about the mold...

• Hi Judy! Good question. For rooms that get humidity, the manufacturer recommends applying an additional 1/4" bead of adhesive around the perimeter of the panel before installing to block out moisture underneath. We didn't do that since we were installing in a powder room.

• Can you use these tiles on dropped ceiling?

Great job!

• Hi it looks great! My question is when you say prime the popcorn ceiling; do you mean roll on paint with primer first?

• Thanks, Beatrice! Yes, you can use a paint with primer or just primer like Kilz. I think the manufacturer recommends that just so you can be assured the surface doesn't have a film over it which happens a lot in kitchens, bathrooms, or homes with cigarette smokers. Personally, if I were to cover my own popcorn ceiling, I'd just make sure the popcorn ceiling was free of dust and loose popcorn by sweeping or vacuuming it first.

• Joannaliddy

I'd love this ceiling in my kitchen.

• Beautiful, beautiful bathroom. I love the contrast between the white and dark blue. You've given me ideas for our only bathroom upstairs, now I just need to get the hubby on board. Thanks for the great pictures.