DIY PVC Pipe Privacy Screen

$100

The inspiration for this project was a decorative fence we saw at Walt Disney World's Epcot, as well as the upholstery print in a booth at a restaurant! Inspiration is everywhere!
Steph has been wanting to replace her garbage can privacy screen and this idea seemed like a perfect fit!

Watch the video!

diy pvc pipe privacy screen

This PVC fence found at Epcot at Walt Disney World was the inspiration for our screen.

diy pvc pipe privacy screen

This is Steph's old screen that we wanted to replace.

diy pvc pipe privacy screen

The first step was to purchase various sizes of PVC pipe. I sanded all the pipes prior to cutting to roughen up the surface so the adhesive would hold better once we started to put it together.

diy pvc pipe privacy screen

All the pipes were cut to about 2" thick on the miter saw. Smaller pieces of pipe were cut with a portable band saw. Watch the video to see this tool in action.

diy pvc pipe privacy screen

After we cut what seemed like enough pipe, we started fitting the pieces into the PVC pipe frame we made. (See the video or blog post for frame details.) We soon determined we needed a LOT more pieces. We went back to the store for more pipes and started cutting more slices!

diy pvc pipe privacy screen

We are working on a piece of insulation foam. We were hopeful that when we started gluing the pieces, the glue would not stick to the foam insulation. (Spoiler: the glue did not stick to the foam--success!)

diy pvc pipe privacy screen

The assembly process took about 4 hours! We used outdoor construction adhesive to connect the pipe slices.

diy pvc pipe privacy screen

The screen came off the insulation foam easily and the finished piece was strong and sturdy. We took it to Steph's house for the installation.

diy pvc pipe privacy screen

We put a couple of pieces of 2' long rebar into the ground and set the screen onto the ground. (There are more details on the blog about this part. Also, you can see details about how we dealt with the angle of the ground.)

diy pvc pipe privacy screen

Here's the screen from the street. We really like the look!

diy pvc pipe privacy screen

This is a good representation of the sizes of PVC pieces we used as well as where we glued the pieces to each other.

Diablo Sandnet sandpaper
Mother Daughter Projects

• Lelia

What was the cost of this project ?

Seems a little expensive to me

I like it but I am just wondering about the cost

• Athelyn

Check with your local plumber or contractors. They will most likely have pieces everywhere or will let you dumpster dive at contractor sites

• Bobbie

This great it make me want to do more than one my question is how can you connect more and one together I think that's what I want to do how about that idea

• Renee Devries

You can buy a pvc T joint and connect pipes at top and bottom running horizontal. Then you can run a pvc pipe vertical down the middle (where the T joint is and make your piece larger).

• Alison Bulick Gilroy

Is that you Mary Lou Alt Gray?

• Defrazzled418

Good job girls! Martha S. has nothing on you 2! Mom & Daughter what could be better.

• Cristinota

Thank you very much for this step-by-step tutorial! I have been admiring pics of partitions, gates, artwork like this on Pinterest only to be disappointed by the lack of reasonable instructions. Thank you, Ladies! Now I will tackle the project of making a six to seven foot long panel for my ten foot long dining room wall with a lot more know-how! Great job 👍🏼!