Asked on Jan 16, 2019

Will weeds ruin my chain link fence?

Lynn SorrellShore grandmomCindy
+5

I have persistent weeds growing next to and through a chain link fence. Will this discolor or ruin the coating? Thanks

• Ruin the coating of what?

• Nope it will be just fine. Wait till you see what that fence looks like 50 years from now. They take a beating. Sun, rain, wind, snow, sleet are far more "damaging" than a tiny bit of vinegar. There is a length of chain link fence that is on one of my brothers properties with the plaque still attached from the fence company that installed it . . . in 1948. Now they dare not do that now as many manufacturers have cheapened the product.

• Cindy

Hi Diane. I'm Cindy. I asked my husband your question because he used to install chain link fencing. He said that no, weeds will not harm your fence in any way. Fences are galvanized for this exact reason. Wishing you well Diane.

• Shore grandmom

Do you have a vinyl coating on it? If so, it might, over time, cause problems with the coating.

• Lynn Sorrell

Yes the vinegar will ruin the finish and cause it to rust. vinegar is used to etch galvanized metal so paint can stick to it better, it also causes chemical reaction Hydrogen that can be toxic if left on & in lrg quantities.