DIY Neon String Heart

$15

I remember getting a string art craft kit for my 12th Birthday. It was a geometric pattern made with gold and silver thread onto a black background. I did enjoy the making the kit and the string art picture hang on my bedroom wall for a couple of years.

Remembering the string art I did as a child I decided to update it and take it to the next level with this neon string art heart. This heart now hangs on my kitchen wall and looks fabulous as night when the neon lights glow.

This isn't the first time I've used the neon wire, I made my son a sign of his name with it. Which he hangs in his bedroom!

All you need to make this fabulous illuminated heart decoration. Is some scrap pallet wood for the background, round head nails and most importantly pink neon el wire.

You can buy the el wire here. It is very reasonable I used 2 x 5 meter (15ft) lengths with an attached battery pack.

The first thing I did was make the back by cutting 3 planks of pallet wood into strips about 30cm (12") in length. Two wooden battens were then nailed to the back to keep the pieces of pallet wood together.

The wood was then sanded smooth.

I cut out a paper heart template to fit the front of the wall. I drew around the template with a pencil

Next, I hammered nails into the wood following the heart outline.

I drilled a small hole into the sign and used this to pass through the neon el wire.

The neon wire was then wrapped around the nails. This was done in a random manner, making sure that every nail had some wire wrapped around it at least once.

The battery pack of the sign sits behind and rest on the battens. Don't forget to check out the blog (link at the end), for more photos and instructions.

The illuminated heart looks fabulous when switched on and really brightens up my home on this dull winter days.

This would make a fantastic Valentine's decoration.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

I need a little clarification. You said 2 X 5 meters. (15 feet) so a total of 30 feet/10 meters? Are there 2 battery packs on the back or can you connect both wires together? I love this so much I just need to be sure to buy the right stuff.

• Steph

I can't get the hyper link for the wire to work. Can you please repost the actual link or name so I can find it?

Thanks So much!

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

I just tested the link it’s working fine. The wire is called el wire you can get it on Amazon or ebay. I hope that helps.

• Lainey

Just want to say Love, Love, Love this project.......This is a great project!

• Debra McMenamin

Catherine, thanks for the idea. You reminded me that there are tons of coloring books for adults now that could be used also.

• Cyndy

Thinking shamrock in green of course for St. Pat's? Pastels in an Easter egg shape.

Firecracker's for 4th of July. Fall leaves.

Poinsettia for Christmas or a pine tree!