Nancy
Nancy
  • Winter Haven, FL
Asked on Jan 16, 2019

How to repair a popcorn ceiling?

Kelly Denoyer RussellRymeaNancy
+2

I have a water mark on a popcorn ceiling. The leak is repaired, but how do I refinish the water mark? It is hard to paint the ceiling

• Tere

You can simply paint it with a stiff bristled paintbrush to get in all those nooks and crannies.Surely not as easy as painting a smooth ceiling with a paint roller but it does the job on popcorn texture.

• Susan Davia

I used foam ceiling tiles...look like tin tiles....in other areas I will be using wood planks

• Nancy

Thanks for your help

• Rymea

Usually a popcorn ceiling isn't bright white so the problem is matching the paint. We have a badly painted (by the previous owner) area in our living room that is bright white and it stands out horribly. I've thought of trying to scrape off some of the popcorn in a closet and have it color matched but not sure if that would even work. Good luck. I hope yours looks good.

• Kelly Denoyer Russell

All of mine have been painted several times with a nappy roller. Try to match and paint the one area. Usually the texture makes it more forgiving to just a touch up but if not you willl have to roll the whole ceiling. Tarp because you will get some crumbles. I would use Kilz or something to prevent bleed thru. Also they have popcorn texture in a can. Messy but gets the job done and has paint mixed in with it if you get a bald patch.