Asked on Jan 16, 2019

How do I stop small animals from digging under my home?

OlivaKelli L. MilliganLinda
+12

I is there a plug-in device that I can use on the out side to run s?

• Kelli L. Milligan

To run What? Question got cut off.

• Linda

question does not make sense...what do you want to run?

• Kelli L. Milligan

Can you seal off access with siding? You probably should change out vents from flexible to metal vents.

• Oliva

What type of animals (rodents, squirrels, skunks, opossums)?

Is there a food source they are seeking (bird seed, pet food, flower bulbs, grass seed, etc.) behind the vents?

Food sources as listed should be kept in tightly sealed metal containers.

Moles are attracted to grubs and earthworms, but since the digging is below your vents, moles seem less likely to be what is doing the damage.

You may have to dig below the vent area and install "hardware cloth" screening, well secured to preclude future digging.

Try spraying peppermint oil on the affected area to see if it deters further damage.

• Claudia king

I don't know what it was, just that it got under there and caused $550in damage, and electric bill for $843.

• Oliva

Hi, Claudia,

I empathize with your situation.

I don't know where you live, but you may want to read this document:

icwdm.org/handbook/rodents/rodentexclusion.asp

Given the damage, it's most likely from mice/rats/squirrels, or similar.

I wish you luck.

• Oliva

Oh, Claudia,

This is really distressing!

I just read this article about a situation that parallels yours:

https://www.nola.com/homegarden/index.ssf/2011/09/lead-eating-squirrels_leave_ho.html

It appears that your squirrels are attracted to a composite metal in your vents. Unfortunately, their consumption of the metal doesn't always kill them. Capsaicin may help, but it appears that this is a continual problem, although some homeowners have changed out their venting material.

If you have nearby trees, or your house material provides a means of access for squirrels to get to the vents, you may want to look at these options.