DIY Flower Tile Coaster

$15

Turn white hexagon tiles and a little craft paint into a cute, simple, and inexpensive coaster as a gift for a friend or for your side table.

diy flower tile coaster

Aside from my children's bedroom (showcased on my blog) my favorite room in our farmhouse is my master bathroom. I adore the black and white hexagonal tile so much in my bathroom that I wanted to highlight it in other areas of my house. That is how I got the inspiration for today’s very simple, inexpensive, and customizable flower tile coaster. You can make a lot of coasters from one sheet of hexagonal tile as a gift for your friends or for your side table. You can also change the shape and the colors to your liking.

I am especially excited to show you today’s tutorial because I included a video to showcase the steps in more detail. You can also follow along in the post below with pictures. I hope you enjoy making your own DIY coasters.

diy flower tile coaster

To make your own flower tile coaster, you will need:

diy flower tile coaster

*Some housekeeping before we start. There is a lot of downtime waiting for the paint and mod podge to dry. This project will go by faster if you batch work each step before you move on to the next step. Also, it is very important to complete all the steps (especially step 8) if you plan to use hot beverages on your coaster.

Step 1: Paint one coat of the craft paint onto the top and sides of the cork coaster.

Step 2: Set the cork coaster aside to dry.

diy flower tile coaster

Step 3: Use the X-Acto knife and cutting board to cut out the coaster into the desired shape. I chose a flower to mimic my bathroom floor.

diy flower tile coaster

Step 4: Trim the tile glue.

diy flower tile coaster

Step 5: Apply one coat of the craft paint onto the tile to create your favorite look. Set aside to dry.

Once the first coat dries, apply a second coat of craft paint to the tile. Then set aside to dry.

diy flower tile coaster

Step 6: Once the paint on the tile and coaster are dry, apply hot glue to the back of the tile and attach it to the cork coaster.

diy flower tile coaster
diy flower tile coaster

Step 7: Apply one coat of mod podge with the foam brush. Set aside to dry completely.

diy flower tile coaster

Step 8: After the mod podge dries (in a well ventilated area) spray one coat of the Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch 2X Ultra Cover Matte Clear onto the coaster.

*This step is very important if you plan to use hot beverages on your coaster, because the spray finish will allow for the coaster to sustain up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

Step 9: Sit back with a warm cup of coffee or a cold beverage, and enjoy your final product!

diy flower tile coaster
diy flower tile coaster

Elizabeth at Country Peony

• Sandra Allen

Did you find it hard to keep the black paint just on the center tile? If you did, next time put a little petroleum jelly on the surrounding ones and your paint won't adhere. You can even get down the sides a bit. Just a tip from someone who painted her share of windows with the muntins.

• MMM

Do you find that it's a little tippy toppy with the two levels on the coaster? I'm thinking you have to be careful about placement. Cute idea though!

• Elizabeth at Country Peony

Thank you MMM. I have not had any trouble with tipping over due to the two layers, but if it is a concern it doesn't hurt to take the tile design to the edge of the cork.

• Gina Modugno

This is such a creative idea, I love it!

• Rhonda

This doesn't seem like a very stable coaster. I'm afraid you'll end up having your glass tip over. Cute though

• Elizabeth at Country Peony

Thank you Rhonda. I have not had any trouble with tipping over due to the two layers, but if it is a concern it would be a good idea to take the design to the edge of the cork.