Asked on Jan 17, 2019

How do I change up the brick?

Debi53SkyDawn
+14

The uniform brick on this house looks like it needs a solid color to help the detail brick to pop. Suggestions....

q paint the brick or no
  • Lorraine

Yes, maybe the darkest of the stonework. Ooooorrrr, put horizontal wood facing on it?? Or plants to cover it up a bit.

• Mogie

I agree with Lorraine about the horizontal wood facing. The brick and stone both compete with each other. Too much going on.

• Lizbeth

I'd be more likely to paint the wood, not the brick.

• Virginia Velleca

Once you paint brick, you need to keep painting it. The beauty of brick is that it needs so little care. Dirty painted brick is ugly.

• Flipturn

No, no more plants. There is already a great deal of dirt up right against the house, and some of the plants look to me like they are already growing too large for the space they are crammed into.

• BBB

Virginia is right about painting brick or even a driveway. Once you do it, you are stuck doing it over and over. I would leave it unpainted or at the most , perhaps you can find someone who will put an acid stain on it. That might last longer.

• Diane Coverdale

Definitely, don't paint the brick. You might need larger plants out front to balance everything.

• Barb Brown

I'd paint all the brick a dark color, leave the stone and transplant some of the plants for a cleaner look.

• Rick Marney

I would NEVER paint brick. One thing to remember is that once painted, they will always be painted. I hate painting and know that the paint will need replacing and/or redone in the future. Just my opinion.

• Karen

Do not paint any of the brick!! The front of the house looks nice as is. The layered long rock look is very popular and to paint it would be a mistake. The planter area with this type of elongated brick sets off the front of the house, in my opinion. I might consider painting the light post a tannish color to match the brick. Agree smaller plants are needed in the upper planter area and suggest something in the 10" range come summer time. As a side note, painted brick always looks icky to me and would probably be a severe mistake should you desire to sell the house in the future.

• Crazyliblady

Or how about some shutters in a color that makes things pop?

• Sharon

I Agree with horizontal wood or a complimenting wood design over the standard brick portions...that would make the remaining stone really pop!

Please post when you make your decision!! :)

• Joy30150932

I would not paint the brick but you do need some color to make your curb appeal. Try changing out some plants to different colored leaves and flowers with a nice reds or purples. You might consider painting the trim on your windows but that is a big job and you need to be careful you do not get paint on your brick, but you could have the results you are looking for within a few days. .

• Dawn

I've seen brick homes painted white with black trim. Looks beautiful. There are certain colors that shouldn't be used. I guess it's up to the home owner. I've seen some real eyesores.

• Sky

I would leave it alone. They are beautiful neutral colors....our house is orange brick!! Yuk. Perhap paint the window trim a different color so one doesn't focus too much on the plain brick.

• Debi53

Our home was also orange brick!! We used solid masonry stain instead of paint. No priming needed. We did two coats with a super thick roller made for textured walls and a brush for the tight areas. This was 9 years ago and the stain still looks great. Stain will not flake off like paint does. You can have it tinted to almost any color. We went with a medium tan and it completely covered the brick. If you hate the orange brick, you don't have to live with it.

• Debi53

Hi Lisa, I love the look of the wood that others have talked about, but if you don't want to go that route, you can stain your brick. We had ugly orange brick on our house. We used solid masonry stain and it has held up for 9 years with no touch up. Stain soaks into the brick and does not flake off like paint will.