J Vaught
J Vaught
  • Collierville, TN
Asked on Jan 17, 2019

How can I encourage my Irises to bloom?

Nancy TurnerKelleysdiyNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+2

I have a row of irises that rarely bloom. They are beneath a large tree. What might I do to ensure that they bloom?

• Janet Papp

They need sun. It might be that they are in too much shade.

• Mary lu

they might just need to be thinned out. have they been there for a long time? are there lots of roots all twined together and little roots coming up over the soil. dig them up, separate them and replant each root separately.

• Move them, they might need more sun.

• Kelleysdiy

Irises require at least a half-day (6-8 hours) of direct sunlight. Some afternoon shade is beneficial in extremely hot climates, but in general irises do best in full sun. Iris will grow in deep shade, but probably not flower. Provide your irises with good drainage.

• Nancy Turner

I found an article that may help. If they have been in that spot a long time, the rhizomes may be too close together, they don't like to flower once they are crowded. The iris also needs sun, not shade, but they do like to have a little afternoon shade sometimes in the heat of the day. Here is the address for the article.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/iris/iris-plant-care.htm