HOW TO BUILD A LAUNDRY BASKET DRESSER

$150
1 Day

My master bedroom closet is getting a makeover!!! I found an idea online for a laundry basket dresser, which I thought was a brilliant way to hide dirty laundry! I wanted it built in at the back of the closet, somewhat hidden away.

Ready for makeover!
Ready for makeover!

Let's get started!

First build your base
First build your base

Cut a 1×4 to the width of the closet, and a few center supports going to the back wall. This base was not attached to the wall, just laid out as a foundation. Then cut a piece of plywood to make the bottom of the laundry basket dresser, I used 1/2″ plywood.

I chose tall baskets.
I chose tall baskets.

Place baskets where you want them.

how to build a laundry basket dresser

To find the height of cabinet, place the laundry basket where you want it and tip it upward. Mark the highest place the basket will reach when tipped.

how to build a laundry basket dresser

Height found, cut 2x4s to that length and attach to wall with 2.5″ screws. 

how to build a laundry basket dresser

Cut a plywood top for the laundry basket dresser and attach to each of the braces sticking up and along the wall with brad nailer.  

Build each “laundry basket cubbie” out of plywood to sit underneath the laundry basket and between each support. Don’t attach this to anything!

Will move as a whole unit without hardware!

Cut cabinet fronts and attach to base “cubbie” piece with a bead of glue and nails. You want an “L” shape cabinet built around each laundry basket.  

how to build a laundry basket dresser

Cut a short piece of 1×2 with 45 degree angles and attach to each side with glue and nails.

how to build a laundry basket dresser

I added a brace piece underneath the top of the laundry basket dresser. 

how to build a laundry basket dresser

Cut and attach trim to front panels.

how to build a laundry basket dresser

Ready for paint!!

I just love this!!!
I just love this!!!

I have a video explaining every step here. Also be sure to check out the blog post (link below) for more details and pictures.

If you like this project please  subscribe to my emails. Be sure to follow me on Facebook @RootsandWingsFurniture where I share more tips and advice. 

Jenni Ingram

• Hal Schultz

I like the idea, but could use more detail. I assume that the drawers tip out or do they slide out? how do you keep them from sliding sideways and getting out of line? How do you get the basket out? You have to fully remove the drawer? thanks

• Jenni Ingram

Yes, watch the video for more details. You'll be able to see exactly how it works!

• Brenda Black

You said these cans were for dirty laundry right? My question is how is that go to stop the clean clothes to not smell?

• Rose Work

There being a physical barrier, that would have to cut down on the smell.

• Kim

Where is the video?

• Barbara

Bad idea!!! ☹

• Melissa
    30 minutes ago

I seriously do not understand why people have to post the negativity. If you don't like the idea, move on. This person was nice enough to share her idea and how to do it. No reason to try to bring her down.