Annie
Annie
  • Woodbury, TN

Easy DIY Brick Backsplash

$350

Update your kitchen with an Easy DIY Brick Backsplash! This affordable project is perfect for beginners who are looking for that classic farmhouse style! See the full tutorial and links to materials here.

easy diy brick backsplash

I love a good DIY project. When we moved into our house I really wasn’t very crazy about our kitchen. The layout is awkward and the previous owners style was hard for me to get past. We contemplated ripping the whole thing out and starting over, but I had such a hard time justifying that kind of expense. I mean the kitchen worked, the countertops and cabinets were in good shape, it just wasn’t me. So, I decided to take on the kitchen as a bit of challenge. How can I improve a space that I don’t like on a modest budget? Turns out, it was easier than I thought.

easy diy brick backsplash

Before

easy diy brick backsplash

After

easy diy brick backsplash

Materials

I knew I needed thin (about a half an inch) brick, which can be tricky to find at first. I decided on special order Old Mill brick pavers from Lowes, you can now get them on Amazon too! The pavers come in several different colors so I mixed two colors to get a more authentic look. If you want your backsplash to look very uniform you could certainly just use one color, but if you like the feel of different tones you will definitely need to mix two or three different pavers.

I picked  Rushmore, a pretty uniform gray brick and Castle Gate, a red brick that had more variation. I liked the depth the two colors added and since my countertops are a fairly “busy” granite pattern I thought the different tones helped meld the look better.

See the full tutorial and links to materials here.

easy diy brick backsplash
easy diy brick backsplash
easy diy brick backsplash

easy diy brick backsplash
easy diy brick backsplash
easy diy brick backsplash

Annie

• Lynn

It looks amazing! My first thought about any project is 'how easy is it to keep clean'--I love the brick backsplash but wonder if it is easy to clean--thanks!

• Debra

This makeover is beautiful. I love it. My friend is retiring this week and her kitchen has tired and dated oak cabinets. Retired = no income. She really wants a white kitchen, but the expense of new is prohibitive. How did you prep and paint your wooden cabinets? Did you paint inside the doors too? I have heard they will warp if you don’t. All advice welcome.

• Beth

Debra, I had an interior design business for years and did alot of renovations when the economy turned sour around 2007-08 and people had less money. I always painted the inside of the cabinet doors, but not the inside of the cabinets themselves.