Jill Salmen
Jill Salmen
  • Oak Ridge, TN
Asked on Jan 18, 2019

How to redo a bathtub's "top coat"?

Kelli L. MilliganNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAWilliam

How to redo a bathtub's finish? My tub is so old that the finish has worn off. It is just a regular tub nothing special but I would like to paint and reseal it so it looks better. Any suggestions or products?

Rustoleum or Homax tub and tile paint kits. Proper prep is the key. Take no short cuts.

• Have it professionally reglazed. I have had excellent results and not as expensive as you might think. Last one I had done was at my mom's house which the tub was the original to the home built in 1926. To this day, looks brand spanking new with proper care.

• Kelli L. Milligan

They make kits for that sold at Home Depot. Step by step instructions are in the kit. Prep is very important. Just an fyi, all top coats, even done by the pros, will eventually peel once scratched. They have to be redone about every 4 years if you are careful with it.