Create a Bamboo Pergola/ Arbor for $10!

$10

I was inspired to create something out the bamboo and so I looked on Hometalk and found that people were asking what to do with bamboo that they had cut down. The light bulb went on and with the help of my awesome hubby I went to 'work' creating again!
I do not have step by step but the first thing you need to do is watch Youtube videos on clive hitch and square lashing. These are what we used to put the bamboo together.
I have always thought about creating something out of bamboo but never had the chance until now. The bamboo was just cut down on a couple days ago so it is still green and very workable. The bamboo will dry light brown and be almost indestructible. You may have to tighten the rope after it dries in a month and the bamboo will last a very long time.
NOTE: to avoid any rooting-it would not bad idea to spray a sealer like flex seal or other rubber coating to stop it from rooting if you use it fresh cut.
bamboo pergola arbor budget create, diy, gardening, repurposing upcycling
The new bamboo pergola/arbor is the entrance to my nursery and wild area
The bamboo I brought home to create. Most of the bamboo was over 25' tall! I could only fit 8' sections in my Expedition. I used my Dewalt cordless reciprocating saw and went through 1 battery. Cut off the branches right away with the saw or they are very hard to cut off after a day or so of drying. - {I am trying to eradicate from a client's yard where the bamboo migrated from across a concrete culvert and to her yard over 100 feet away!}
separate the sizes by diameter: need (4) large ones for the uprights about 7' or so long; (8) 22" long for the cross members; (2) 5' long for the top; and (4) 30" long for the top cross members to sturdy the pergola/arbor
We found the 1/4" @ 100' sisal rope at Harbor freight with 20% off coupon for less than $5. However, we had to run to Lowe's and buy it for about $7 when 100' was not enough. We cut the rope in 6' sections for each connection.
Clive hitch. Use pliers to get rope tight
our version of square lashing (reminds me of Gilligan's Island)2
the 2 sides will have 4 cross members and you can put them at any height. We measure about a foot from the bottom and then close to where the top will be and then tried to equally space the other 2 in between
Using something to lay the bamboo on to tie is a back saver but as you put the top on it gets kind of tricky (see below)
We had to come up with our way to hold the thing up to tie everything together-this may take some ingenious rigging and a partner!
See the pliers? great tool for tightening because you cannot pull tight enough with your hands.
This is the finished arbor-we have some tweaking to do since we did not catch that the sides do not match Ugh! but that's okay, untie the rope and re-do one side. The top 45degree bamboo pieces make it sturdy and lashing those together takes some patience.

The Garden Frog with C Renee

• Mildred Colburn

awesome

• Nancy Hatcher

I grow my own bamboo (S.W. Missouri) and have had great success with various projects. I used 5 tied at the top and spread at the bottom for cucumber vines. I used them on a swing set frame, tying across and up & down for vining beans. The short and thin pieces get stuffed into toilet paper & paper towel rolls (empty of course) and use them for fire starters that don't cost a dime.