Farmhouse Style Chair Makeover

$18

Found some old chairs that would make a cute addition to our farmhouse style decor and decided to give them an easy makeover. Head over to see the simple DIY steps and see the finished look.

farmhouse style chair makeover

These are the BEFORE- two oak stained antique chairs that had a navy print upholstered seat.

farmhouse style chair makeover

I removed the seats and took out countless staples holding the upholstered seat. I then cleaned the pieces off before painting with chalk paint, antiquing throughout and applying the finishing wax.

farmhouse style chair makeover

This one chair had small nails that were holding part of the seat together and needed to be reconfigured for better support. So I removed it completely and placed some wood pieces in each corner.

farmhouse style chair makeover

I had some burlap coffee bean sacks that were given to us and I decided to use it for the seat covers. Choosing to use new foam also vs. using the existing one that had seen better days.

farmhouse style chair makeover

If you want to know my secret for cutting straight lines in thick foam---use an electric knife. It does a perfect job---(see my post for more on that).

farmhouse style chair makeover

Since I didn't account at first for the new thickness I messed up and had to design a logo and lettering for the other seat since I didn't have enough print on the sacks. I used my cricut and some contact paper to create a stencil. Then just traced with a sharpie.

farmhouse style chair makeover

This is the AFTER with my design

farmhouse style chair makeover

Chippy paint and burlap seats. A great look from the original!

GullyCreekCottage

• Patricia Blue

I have recovered my dining room chairs so many times that now the seats are hard to reattach. The holes no longer line up. How can I fix the holes? Fill them in (with what)replace the bottoms which are odd shaped, or something else?

• Diane Silva Randolph

I have considered covering chairs with burlap but worry that it will shed all over our rear ends when we sit down. Have you had a problem with this?

• Cathy Jones

My dining room set was inherited from Nana and Pops who purchased around 1915. The chairs are very rickety. How can I fix them?

• Joanie

I LOVE burlap and binder twine. My two favorites from the country......I'll give Loretta Lynn a buzz.......she'll let me know about burlap and binder twine. LOL.

• Necee Marie

Awesome!!