Farmhouse Style Chair Makeover

$18

Found some old chairs that would make a cute addition to our farmhouse style decor and decided to give them an easy makeover. Head over to see the simple DIY steps and see the finished look.

These are the BEFORE- two oak stained antique chairs that had a navy print upholstered seat.

I removed the seats and took out countless staples holding the upholstered seat. I then cleaned the pieces off before painting with chalk paint, antiquing throughout and applying the finishing wax.

This one chair had small nails that were holding part of the seat together and needed to be reconfigured for better support. So I removed it completely and placed some wood pieces in each corner.

I had some burlap coffee bean sacks that were given to us and I decided to use it for the seat covers. Choosing to use new foam also vs. using the existing one that had seen better days.

If you want to know my secret for cutting straight lines in thick foam---use an electric knife. It does a perfect job---(see my post for more on that).

Since I didn't account at first for the new thickness I messed up and had to design a logo and lettering for the other seat since I didn't have enough print on the sacks. I used my cricut and some contact paper to create a stencil. Then just traced with a sharpie.

This is the AFTER with my design

Chippy paint and burlap seats. A great look from the original!

GullyCreekCottage

• Diane Silva Randolph

I have considered covering chairs with burlap but worry that it will shed all over our rear ends when we sit down. Have you had a problem with this?

• Cathy Jones

My dining room set was inherited from Nana and Pops who purchased around 1915. The chairs are very rickety. How can I fix them?

• NaniJen

First..... GORGEOUS!❤

Second.... I have metal bar stools(more a chair then a stool, since they have backs), your project is exactly what I had in mind to change these stools to match new decor. My question (sorry, it's taken so long to actually get to my question), is could this technique be used on the metal? If not, what would you suggest?

• GullyCreekCottage

Hi Nanijen. Can you send me a picture of your chair so that I can see if there's anything you can anchor cushions to. If not, you could just make the seat covers and tie them to the back legs.

• Joanie

I LOVE burlap and binder twine. My two favorites from the country......I'll give Loretta Lynn a buzz.......she'll let me know about burlap and binder twine. LOL.

• Necee Marie

Awesome!!