DIY Light Fixture

$24.99

I'm in the middle of a guest bedroom redo and changing the lighting was one of the projects on the long to do list. This is what I started with...4 recessed lights and 1 very unattractive ceiling light.
The first thing I did was to change the silver recessed lights by spray painting them with high heat spray paint, in white.
After the recessed lights were taken care of, it was time for the ceiling light to come down (the last one to go in this house...yay!). I looked at a lot of different styles but all of the ones I really liked were expensive, so I decided to try to make my own. I already had a rusty orb thing/object that I bought last year for around $20. My thought was to use it to make some kind of pendant light.
Now I needed to figure out what kind of light I wanted to use inside. On a trip to Goodwill one day, I just happened to find this old brass hanging light and thought that it was worth the $4.99 price tag to see if we could use any of the parts to make a new light.
We removed the dusty glass dome and tried to fit the light into the orb. I had my doubts but, wouldn't you know, it fit perfectly! I took it back out, cleaned it all up and spray painted it in ORB. Then we drilled a hole in the orb so the rod to the light could be attached.
We carefully tucked the light back into the orb, snaked the wires through the hole we drilled, attached the chain to the light rod and hung it up.
It is perfect for the room and just the right scale.
After living with it for a while, I decided to change it up a bit and brought out the spray paint. Ten minutes later, I had a new light that blended perfectly in my newly done guest bedroom.

Kristi @ Chatfield Court

• Sue Scimeca

amazing!! Great imagination and resource. I love Goodwill and go every week, on Wednesday for senior discount day... ;-)

• Sharonnf7

I love your orb light. The room looks so nice.