Vintage Round Wood Tray Makeover

$40

I picked up this vintage solid wood round tray at the thrift store and knew it would be perfect painted in a farmhouse style. Follow me as I change it into a whole new look.

vintage round wood tray makeover

The solid wood tray had a hand painted flower so first step was to remove the hardware and power sand the surface to smooth it down.

vintage round wood tray makeover

A customer called it from my stock and wanted it the same as the bread box she purchased in the past. (www.hometalk.com/37548746/roll-top-bread-box-makeover)

So in keeping with this, 2 coats of Fusion Mineral Paint int he color plaster were painted on on both sides. Once good and dry the edges were distressed to reveal some of the original wood.

The hardware was put back on and a bit of Fusion's black wax was added around the edges.

vintage round wood tray makeover

The next step was to add some pizzazz with a damask stencil, from Stencil Warehouse. Secure the stencil in the spot you want it with painters tape.

vintage round wood tray makeover

Using a small stencil brush I applied Fusion's coal black over the stencil then lift to reveal.

vintage round wood tray makeover

Beautiful!! To keep vintage, the stencil was lightly sanded and 2 coats of Fusion tough coat went over and more black wax.

See more details in the blog post listed. https://creativemoments10.blogspot.com/2019/01/vintage-round-wood-tray-makeover.html

Creative Moments

• Heje

The stencil that was applied has crisp lines. How do you get it so perfect?

• Creative Moments

Hi Heje

The secret is to apply with very little paint on your brush.. this is hard to make the brain realize but is the secret ;) that and a few really light coats vs just one

Thanks for your kind words ;)

• Linda

Where do you get the stencil? Very nice job.

• Sandra

I'm inspired to try this. Is it food safe? If not how would you do so?

• Creative Moments
      29 minutes ago

The paint I used was Fusion which is zero VOC, I also added their tough coat sealer as it is to be used for a fruit dish. I would not however say food safe in the way of eating food directly off it but so using with food, for sure