How do I choose a color scheme for a small kitchen?

+2

I'm really wanting some sort of tone of purple. What I've considered is purple walls, gray cabinets and some type of black countertops. My kitchen is fairly small, so I don't want all this to overwhelm the space. I'd like some kind of glass or tile backsplash to go with all these things in a light-ish color that can help balance things out. Any ideas for a material or color that might work for that? Any thoughts on that color combo? Thank you, for any input!

• 1401470 1401470 on Jan 20, 2019

I would bring the purple in with rugs and hand towels maybe even a few fun dish accents. Even a back splash would be another neat place to bring in the purple. I would also do a smokey gray over black - in a small space it would work better.

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Jan 20, 2019

Find the glass tile that you want to use that has purple and grey in it. Then pick your grey and match purple for the wall.

• Oliva Oliva on Jan 20, 2019

There is black granite available with grey and purple in it. You'd need to look around at granite yards.

Cambria makes a fabulous quartz in light grey tones, which could be used as a countertop or backsplash, complemented with purple highlights chair fabrics, dish cloths, etc.

As a trial, get some large pieces of craft paper in the colors you want and tape them in your existing space. Black counters with purple walls may overwhelm a small space.

• Lizbeth Lizbeth on Jan 20, 2019

Purple is absolutely my favorite color and has been for decades. Black is my second favorite color (for clothes anyway.) But I'd be hesitant to create a purple and black **kitchen.** While I love them both, and love them together for many things, together they just aren't "appetizing" colors for a kitchen to me. If they are to you, that's fine. Go for it! But if there is any chance you'll be putting your house up for sale in the foreseeable future, I'd avoid using those colors on things in a kitchen that you can't easily alter when that time comes. And if an avowed purple and black fanatic feels that way, I expect prospective buyers who aren't necessarily fans of those colors would too. I'd do as Carole suggested and use those colors in your accessories. In a small kitchen I'd go more classic black and white, with colorful, easily changeable accents. But that's just me.

• V Smith V Smith on Jan 21, 2019

I think that if you are going to use grey and purple make the purple either much darker or much lighter than the grey. I think if they are too close in value they will read the same. Now, light is important in the kitchen, and your choice of colors isn't leading you in a direction of good reflected light. That said I suggest you make your walls the lightest color you can and still have them read as a shade of purple. To bring in a true purple do it with your accessories. Unless your heart is set on black countertops I would steer you away (they show everything). Look at the Corian in the color Sea Foam it is a beautiful complement to grey cabinets.