Does anyone know about Lane furniture?

Phyllis Rogers TurgissCynthia HSharon
+37

Someone was throwing this table out the other day. It had a few coffee stains and was a little worn down, but overall in good shape. I just started sanding it and realized that it's extremely well built. Never heard of the brand, and just wondering how much it's worth..... I'll take some ideas of what to do with it also. I'm probably just gonna restain it, but I'm open to something more creative.
    Douglas Hunt

Lane furniture is highly sought after by midcentury enthusiasts, but I'm afraid you've probably diminished the value by refinishing it, unless it was in really bad shape.

• Dorothy
    Dorothy

They have been around for along time. I am 78 and have a Lane cedar chest that I was given for my 16th birthday. I think that is what they started out making.

• Mcgypsy9
    Mcgypsy9

I too have a Lane Cedar Chest that I was given for my 16th birthday. Lane has been around for many many many years! And Dorothy...yes I do believe that is what they started out making. Very well made furniture for sure!

• Sandy
    Sandy

It is a Lane Acclaim coffee table. Mid-century modern. With the original finish it is worth $300-$500. I suggest that you stain it as close to the original finish as possible. Great find.

• Sandy Pudoff
    Sandy Pudoff

I have a Lane bedroom set from when we first got married (37 yrs ago). Nice straight lines, no carving, no do dads, nothing that dates it. It weighs a ton and it still looks great. Quality that can't be bought off the floor these days.

• Donna W
      Donna W

@Sandy Pudoff True, Sandy. If you have old well built wood furniture, keep it in good repair and KEEP it. The wood comes from Asia now (called Asian hardwood) and it's weak and cracks. My husband is a furniture repair expert. He says it isn't worth repairing.

• Mary Bryant
    Mary Bryant

Lane furniture is well built. I can't understand why someone would throw this table out. This is what I would call modern style.

• Lisa Johnson
    Lisa Johnson

I wish I would have found it in my neighborhood. Gorgeous!! Don't paint it!

• Rebecca Brockway
    Rebecca Brockway

Gorgeous! Do what you want with it. Would be nice to stain it as close to the original as possible but I can see it painted, too. It's a great piece.

• Donna W
      Donna W

@Rebecca Brockway If you change your mind and want to return to natural wood color again, don't paint it. Paint can seep deep into the grain making it impossible to make it look good again.

• Angela Bello
    Angela Bello

My Grandma had that exact table, then my mother, and I even used it until I traded it for another with a friend. I regretted that the very next day! Lane is popular and sought after. Very well made furniture.

• Chris aka monkey
    Chris aka monkey

@Tony i normally am a paint it person but i would not paint this she is gorgeous i would just give her a polycrylic coat to let that wood shine through xx

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Considering that it was going to the dump, basically, I say do whatever you want with it, as you probably grabbed it for yourself, instead of to sell. I'm sure the advice for trying for an original type finish is good, if you do want to sell it. I do know Lane furniture is very well made and high quality, so this is a great find!

• Shannon Grayson-Martin
    Shannon Grayson-Martin

I have a few pieces of Lane furniture and i must say that it is very well built. Enjoy your beautiful table.

• Z
    Z

That's exact coffee table my folks had. They also had the step end tables. My niece now has them. My folks bought them in the mid sixties, but the were manufactured from late fifties to mid to late sixties. I'm drawing a blank on the exact years. Those that said they are highly sought, after are correct. You can find loads of info on them by Googling Lane Acclaim. Here's a starter link for you. I have the first coffee table shown and the desk that's about a third of the way down the page. http://retrorenovation.com/2013/05/17/vintage-lane-acclaim-catalog-48-designs/ Since you already have sanded it and want it to look closer to it's original beauty I searched and found a link that I think will be very helpful to you. Scroll down to where you see a paragraph that starts with "I figured I could apply a stain and go directly into a lacquer and be done." If you follow along from there he gives a detailed description of what he did. It's looks very close to the original look. http://modernwoodworking.blogspot.com/2012/10/refinishing-classic-lane-acclaim-coffee.html Here's some more eye candy in the Lane Acclaim line. https://www.google.com/search?q=lane+acclaim&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS582US582&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=FfbOU_P9IaOR8gGw4oDgDA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1600&bih=732

• Z
    Z

Just to let you know, the darker wood is Walnut veneer. The dove tales are Ash Veneer. The trim around the edge, decorative bars and legs are solid Ash. I can't imagine anyone throwing this away, but gosh, lucky you for finding it!

• JUDY.P
    JUDY.P

oh my gosh what an awesome find ... Lane makes beautiful furniture well built very sturdy, great variety of woods ... lucky you

• Mars
    Mars

Depends where you live on what it is worth. I agree with Sandy on her pricing, but again, it's where you live. Love that table, try and get to the original color. Good find. Good eye.

• Barb
    Barb

The top is actually a veneer so be careful -- yes it looks like the dovetailing of 2 hardwoods but it isn't. Here's an article about refinishing an acclaim table: http://jetsetmodern.com/lane.htm

• MaryStLouis
    MaryStLouis

Lane has excellent furniture and I love this table. What did you end up doing with it?

• FULLAIT
    FULLAIT

Lane has been around for many years. My wife's "HOPE CHEST" is a Lane cedar chest from 1959. Still looks as it did in 59 with minimal upkeep.

• Linda J
    Linda J

I think maybe it was going to the dump because some poor person didn't know what they had. The piece is mid century modern, circa about 1960. We had one in our living room. It is made of walnut probably. If you clean it with TSP and do as little as possible to it, you may have a table worth a tidy amount. Check around before you do anything drastic. After that, do what the heck you want to do!!! It's your table!

• Jonathan Ellis
    Jonathan Ellis

Great table! I had refinished one for a customer a few years ago, though it had no stain on it, unless it was extremely light. Clear coated it with wipe on poly. This was only one piece amongst other interesting pieces.
  • Cindy Hagemann
    Cindy Hagemann

I refinished this same table a few years ago and the end tables that matched it and sold them in my antique booth. I used Restor-A-Finish on mine and a polycrylic top coat - came out beautiful.
  • Mike Weber
    Mike Weber

The serial number is the date of manufacture, only backwards - so, the serial number 469280 translates to 08/29/64.

• HALEY SEIDL
      HALEY SEIDL

I’m new to this but I’ve been researching Lane furniture recently. From what I found the answer is 01/10/69 and the four is the plant it was made in .

• Elizabeth Swanson
    Elizabeth Swanson

Lane is a top brand of really nice/ good furniture. Win!

• Jeff Phillips
    Jeff Phillips

I was in an antique store in Columbus Ohio about 3 days ago I seen the exact same table in their refinished for $400.

• Robert Ingram
    Robert Ingram

i need help on a older lane please. Here is serial number-277130. Iam re doing it now and like to know more about it. The year and what was used on it from when it was mad. .? Just ask if needing and other questions about it thinks .

• Lucy Healy
      Lucy Healy

hey! if you read the serial number backwards, that's the date of production so march 17th 1972. It most likely has a veneer instead of solid wood because during early production in the late 50's they used all wood and then towards the late 60's and 70's they started using veneer as a cheaper alternative. check out dashner design on youtube, they redo a lot of those tables.

• Joe Meyers
    Joe Meyers

It was made in 1964, read the serial numberIn reverse for the date. As far as lookin up the serial number I’m still trying to grind that out.

• Sharon
    Sharon

Nice table, I would oil it myself with some Danish oil.,,, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDiN9TCZkHk

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! Lane furniture is often expensive and always well made. I would stain and seal it. It has lovely detail. Good luck and stay safe!

• Phyllis Rogers Turgiss
    Phyllis Rogers Turgiss

"Lane is the company that used to male most of the "Hope Chests" that your mother and grandmother had. Sometimes called cedar chests. They branched into furniture too. Their furniture was always very well made, and mid-priced.