Living Room Makeover

After we finished our home renovation late last year, the room I was most excited about redecorating was the living room. It is the room you first see when you walk in the house and I really love the result.
My color scheme is grey and yellow with a lot of neutrals/white and some pops of green.
living room makeover renovation bright, foyer, home decor, living room ideas
The old window out to the backyard was replaced with a wide opening to the new part of the house and the coat closet that had been at the bottom of the stars was removed. We added board and batten to the outer wall and painted it in Sherwin Williams Urbane Bronze.
Above you can see the room as it was before we started construction. We added recessed lighting during the reno.
Here is the space during construction. The platform at the bottom of the stairs was removed to create a level walkway into the new part of the house.
My parents wanted their piano to be used more than they had been using it, so they very generously shipped it to us so my kids (and me!) could learn to play.
Here is the room before the renovation.
And this is when they first added the board and batten.
In almost all of the 1940s colonials in our neighborhood, the front door opens into the living space - with no front hall. But we wanted to create an entry way so we had our builder create a half wall and a column. We also replaced the old door.
Here you can see the old door.
Here you can see the old door.
Here are a few of the details in the room. I got these pillows on Etsy.
And here is a painting that was the inspiration for the colors in the room. It was my grandparents.
Here's another shot of the piano and the GREAT drapes that my mom made for me.
I painted these white stripes on the grey walls going up the staircase. I really love how they turned out. It took me about a week to measure, tape, paint and perfect them but it was worth it!
Here you can see that we added a front hall closet to the space to replace the one that was removed. Hope you liked the tour of our living room. See more pics at www.designingontheside.com
Designing On The Side

• Zanna

I love the look of this room and even more than that, the family touches (painting, piano, and mom-made drapes) that are a part of it. Super job - I'll bet it makes you happy every time you walk into it!

• Tracey Clayton

Custom made furniture was the best option for my small living room.