Time With Thea
Time With Thea
  • Canada

5 Tips for a Very Organized Linen Closet

Every home I have lived in has had a narrow linen closet and this house is no exception. Come check out my closet for some tips that I have figured out through trial and error for making the best use so I get the most use out of the storage space that I have to work with.
linen closet organize tips, closet, organizing
It is quite a narrow closet but at least it is quite deep and conveniently located on the top floor.
Tip #1
Store the lightest and/or least used items on the top shelf. I store my stock of toilet paper and tissue boxes here because I can stack them up high making good use of this space.
Tip
Who says sheets have to be stored lying flat on the shelf? To make better use of this space I compactly fold the sheets into packages and secure them with inexpensive ribbon I bought at the dollar store. Then I slide them onto the shelf like you would slide a book onto a bookcase. This way I don't have to go through a pile of stacked sheets and disturb the pile to get to the set I want and I am able to store more sheets sets this way. Easy to do and it looks kind of pretty when you open the closet door.
Tip
Invest in some plastic drawer units and plastic bins to store your smaller items like manicure tools, extra razors, toothpaste and toothbrushes and ointments. I store items here so the whole family has access to them when they need them. I used my label maker to make transparent labels for each drawer.
Tip #4
I prefer to use labeled transparent bins with lids for a couple of reasons. If the bin is hidden behind a closet door I prefer it to be transparent so I can see right away what the contents are. It is just a timesaver. I have bins for items like extra soaps, band aids, travel size toiletries and first aid supplies. Using bins with lids make it easier to stack something else on top like these plastic baskets that fit perfectly on this shelf.
Tip Store heavier items on the bottom. I used a pretty fabric lined basket that I can slide in and out whenever I need to get something. The basket also neatly contains everything while sitting on the floor.
Even though these storage tips were designed for a narrow storage area I think they work for any linen closet space! For a more thorough explanation about how I organized my linen closet I invite you to visit my blog!
Time With Thea

• Meem Kaplan

You have given me hope! Our linen closet is just like yours only a mite bit deeper. Now I can actually USE it!!! What great ideas... Thank you so much!

• Time With Thea

@Meem Kaplan I am so pleased you found this storage system helpful. Thank you for taking the time to let me know and have fun organizing the closet!

• Jacy Rudolchick

I really like the ideas here. I never thought to flip the TP/tissues to the top shelf- I've always did the floor. This is a much better use of those spaces. Also I never thought to side store the linens either. I will be redoing that closet soon, thanks!