Kitchen Utensils + Old Dishes = Garden Art

This summer I built a privacy wall on our covered patio. As you can see from the BEFORE photo, while the wall serves its purpose, it was calling out for some garden art.
I always try and solve problems with things I have on hand (the patio walls came from some raised beds I dismantled), so I decided to work with whatever I could find around the house including some items from my kitchen junk drawer.
Here's what I did:
garden art kitchen utensils old dishes, crafts, gardening, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
The patio wall provides the privacy and sun protection we wanted but it looks a little boxy.
SUPPLIES
SUPPLIES
I had several garden art flowers made from dishes (free instructions on my blog), and a lot of ladles, whisks, cutlery, etc. to work with.
I used poutry staples and screws to attach things to the partio wall. The flower "stems" are made from rush twine (the stuff used to weave rush seats on chairs) but you could use any twine or old garden hose.
The "leaves" are old beaters from an electric mixer, a whisk, and soup spoon. I also used measuring spoons and pickle forks.
I also made a few "weeds", using a wire basket and plain glass plates. After all, no garden is legit without some weeds.
AFTER I have a feeling this is just the beginning of this project, but I'm quite pleased with how it looks so far and it didn't cost me anything more than hunting through a junk drawer.

Empress of Dirt - Melissa

• Dianne oliger

How do you attach the glass to wood?

• Kay-Ellen

If you look on her blog, her dishware flowers are drilled and bolted together. She removed the bolts and used deck screws to attach to the wood. Drilling plates can be touchy. A gal I met who does this sort of thing said she doesn't love a plate until after she manages to drill the hole. You never know if you will be successful until it is done.

• Crystal westerberg

What a fun idea. . Thanks for sharing
  • Lesley Brough

My friend covered a blank fence with blue and white patterned plates. Later they erected a conservatory in front and the plates are visible through the glass. So much more interesting than the blank fence.