Asked on Jan 21, 2019

How to repair (or should I replace?) brick sidewalks?

WilliamLynn SorrellSeth
+8

How to repair (or should I replace?) brick sidewalks that have shiftedenough to present a serious tripping/fall problem?? Can I just”reset” bricks in sand/quikcrete mixture or should I use another walkway.I love the bricks but would hate to see someone hurt!??

• Ken Erickson
    Ken Erickson

You could try to re-seat the offending bricks or you remove them all, redo the base, and then relay the bricks. There is a polymeric sand that can be worked into the cracks, watered down, and let sit. It will harden and lock bricks in place.

• Seth
    Seth

Jean,

The bricks can be reset. If they are not mortared in place, then they were set into sand or stone dust. The joints between the bricks might be filled with sand, stone dust or polymeric sand, which hardens when wetted with water. The process is fairly simple, but time consuming because you have to level the reset bricks as you work. If you are talking about a large length of walkway that has shifted, the ground may have eroded to the point where the entire walkway needs significant work to be stabilized so it will support the walkway. Have a landscaper who specializes in hardscape work evaluate it for you.

William

You can reset the bricks in sand . No Quickcrete or cement.

• Jean Cartier
      Jean Cartier

You don’t recommend the polymer sand that Ken did? We have

had so much rain in Texas this year, I would think JUST sand

would simply wash out?!

Appreciate ALL the helpful advice! If & when this Sr. Great-grandmother accomplishes the task, I will try to post a picture!

• Seth
    Seth

Polymeric sand goes in between the bricks after reseting them not as a base. Use mason sand or concrete sand as the base. Do not use the big box store's paver base, use their base sand.

William

Reset the bricks in regular sand. The polymeric sand is swept in between the bricks after they are in place. Mist with a hose and add more if needed. It hardens like concrete and prevents water from going in between the bricks.