Asked on Jan 21, 2019

How do I seal wood outdoor shutters without changing the color?

Cindy1955JoanOliva
+6

What is the best product for sealing unfinished outdoor shutters without changing the color of the wood?

• Kelli L. Milligan
    Kelli L. Milligan

Marine varnish. Do both sides.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

They carry this at stores which have watercraft supplies, or take a look at Amazon.

• Oliva
    Oliva

You should be able tompurchase Marine varnish at some home stores, paint stores.

• Joan
    Joan

Thank you for the reply. When applied, does the marine varnish come out flat? I don't want any darkening or sheen to the wood.

• Kelli L. Milligan
      Kelli L. Milligan

All finish will slightly darken the wood. Wet it with a wash rag, that's the color of clear finish. If you don't finish them, they will dry rot, then grey and fall apart. Also the sheen will lessen with exposure, that's why you start off semigloss. As it ages gets less shinny. When it gets totally dull, time to recoat. Natural wood takes a lot of maintenance. Needs to be recoated every few years. Sorry, I know it's not what you want.

• Cindy1955
    Cindy1955

I use Thompson’s Water Seal