Desk to Night Stands With Dock Cleat Handles Tutorial

13K Views
I scored this desk for $5 from a yard sale and posed the question to my devoted fans - desk or night stands? The people (all 5 that answered!) spoke and night stands won! This tutorial will lead you through the process of creating the stands and adding dock cleat handles for an extra special nautical touch.
  • night stands desk upcycle tutorial, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
I love how the handles really bring this whole piece together and add a little something different to night stands.
I started by using my jigsaw and cutting the middle portion out from the desk - more detailed pics are available on my blog including some handy tips for this step.
Using a handheld sander, I worked out any imperfections and made the sides as smooth and flush as possible.
I wanted to create a bottom shelf and used a piece of 1/4" plywood scrap that I had in the shop. After tacking it down with the nail gun, I primed the whole piece and then painted it using Valspar spray paint.
The dock cleats were sprayed with a metallic spray paint and then attached to the drawers through pre-drilled holes and hex head bolts. There is a trick to this step but you need to check out the full tutorial for that tidbit.
I love the 2-tone color scheme and the metallic handles!
It's hard to believe that this was a DESK and now, night stands. Please check out my blog for the FULL tutorial and please feel free to ask questions!

Suggested materials for this project:

Meagan {The Charming Farmer}

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Ask a Question