Luis
Luis
  • East Haven, CT

Beautiful Mandevilla Vine

While other plants melt in Florida's hot summers, mandevilla (Mandevilla spp.) is a tropical vine that almost seems to smile at the heat, putting out colorful trumpet-shaped blooms along its woody, twining stems. Here in Connecticut it takes a bit more work.
mandevilla vine garden flower connecticut, flowers, gardening
For almost 7 months this plant stays inside of the house, and when there is no more chance for frost, goes outside. It always rewards me with tons of flowers after watering once a day and fertilizing it every two weeks in the Spring and once a month in the Summer.
The red one knows when warm weather is coming and starts new shoots in March. By April starts getting buds on it and always blooms before I take it outside. I fertilize this one the same way as the white one.

Your cosseting is being beautifully rewarded.

• Luis

@Douglas Hunt I pamper everything that I like

• Vetsy

What do you feed them? and where do you place them when you bring them inside for the winter.. I have a red one on my Balcony.... I'd like to bring mine indoors this year but I live in a apartment.... hope that it will over winter well... I'll give it a try anyway...

• Bonnie

Luis, thank you for sharing your beautiful plants! They are my "must have" tropical! You are very correct about them loving the heat; when everything else is drooping they are showing off! I have always loved the pinks, but then added a red. She is SUCH a show off!! Always bring a happy smile when they greet me on the porch.