Easy Repurposed Cabinet Doors | Home Decor

$15

Repurposed cabinet doors are a great way to create functional home decor. Recently I visited a ReStore with Habitat for Humanity and got super motivated to create something functional for my bathroom that looks pretty at the same time. The doors were affordably priced and it was also giving back to the community. That's a win win in my book! This blog post will show you how to create a toilet paper caddy

easy repurposed cabinet doors home decor

Searching through an ocean of cabinets doors was actually inspiring at the ReStore. Let's just say it stirred up my creativity. Here is everything I used to create my toilet paper caddy.

For this project, the first thing I did was remove all the hardware. A simple screw driver was all I needed.

Repurposed cabinet doors are usually very dirty, so a good cleaning is needed. I cleaned them well with a solution of soapy water (Dawn dish detergent) and rinsed with water. The Dawn will help cut the grease that most cabinets have. Most cabinet doors will have a shiny surface and in order for paint to adhere, you will need to scuff up the surface (lightly sand) with sand paper. I used a 220 grit paper with my orbital sander.

After the prep, I painted the cabinet door with a chalk mineral paint. For this project I used a beautiful color called Driftwood by Dixie Belle Paint Co. To give my repurposed cabinet door project a homey feel, I used a stencil with the letters H O M E. You can customize it to whatever you want it to say. Then I sealed the painted cabinet door with black wax and buffed with a soft cloth.

I lightly distressed the edges of the cabinet door to add an aged look with a 220 grit sandpaper.

I added a copper gilding wax with my finger to the raised edges of the repurposed cabinet doors to match the basket I had chosen for this project.

I drilled 2 holes into the cabinet door and used copper wire to secure the basket in place. As a result, the basket allowed me to display my items for storage of my toiletries. I like the TP idea!

I hope this has inspired you to use those repurposed cabinet doors and come up with some useful ways to display them. Functional home decor on a budget!

Do | Do Dodson Designs

• Peggy Burnette

This is so simple and so cute. Can't wait to find an old door. Thanks for sharing.

• Dee

Try your local Habitat for Humanity, if you have one close by. Almost always have them in the store.

I used an old cabinet door, and painted "WELCOME" on it. I use it on each holiday, with different holiday accessories sitting with it, on my back porch. I love it

• Val

This is so adorable and super useful.