DIY Fuse Box Cover (With No Painting...Do You See It?!)

$10

If you have a fuse box out in plain sight in a room, it can be a serious eyesore. But painting it to blend in with the wall can just sometimes make it stand out more.

So we painted this wall accent wall in an eggshell black color. It looks great against the off-white murphy bed we built, but it makes the fuse box stand out a ton.

diy fuse box cover with no painting do you see it

We knew we didn't want to paint it, but I didn't want to do anything to make it difficult to access. We settled on creating a simple frame with a fabric overlay to help camouflage it with the wall. We knew it wouldn't be perfect, but the goal was a quick and easy solution to make it so it wasn't a massive eyesore when you walk in the room.

First we used 1x2 furring strips, which are super cheap, to create a frame. We just joined them using a nail gun and a few dabs of glue. We made the frame just big enough to sit over the fuse box flush with the wall.

Then I took fabric I had cut to size, misted it with a spray bottle so I could stretch it tight, and began stapling it around the frame like you would a present. I stapled it on the top first, then pulled snug and stapled around the bottom. Then stretched it out and stapled both sids tight. (Note, I originally used a fabric with a pattern on it, but it looked awful, so we decided on putting plain black fabric over it.)

I did the corners like this. That's the hardest part, getting them to look nice and crisp. Once the fabric was on, I hammered up two nails above the fuse box to hang the cover on. I didn't worry about getting them into studs because the frame is so lightweight.

Ahhh, much better! It definitely blends in and takes the attention away from the big gray fuse box when you first walk in the room. Also, it's super easy to remove to access the box. You can see more details and pics at the link below next to my pic. And if you like the DIY murphy bed next to the fuse box, here's the full post I did on it! I'd also love for you to follow me on Facebook for lots more DIY and craft ideas :)

Brittany @by Brittany Goldwyn

• Peggy

My fuse box is made out of metal how do I cove it without paint

• Mo

MO Feb 16, 2019

Truly amazing job. Is there a way to photo it so it can be seen? I love dogs and this has me convinced I need a highly trained canine. Would really appreciate 'Seeing' it.

• Connie
    30 minutes ago

I have a business in my garage and I had a painting the same size as our voltage panel and my husband attached it to the door so that if needed to get in the box it swings open on the original hinges. Works great. I will keep in mind to check to see if it is legal in our state.