We took off the backs of all 3. We started by taking out the screws from the underside that were in the outside “U” shaped piece. Then, taking a dowel that was smaller than the holes, we hammered it through the bottom.
Chair Turned to Stool!
We had 3 of these chairs and my partner came to me with an idea she found on Pinterest. We started on it right away and I hope you like it as much as we do!
Using our trusty Dewalt drill, we drilled holes all the way through the holes where the spindles rested.
These are a couple of the bits we used to drill through the rest of the holes. The holes in each chair we realized were different sized.
The holes in the back were done. Now to drill new holes in the front of the stool. There was no right or wrong so we placed a mark were we thought it would look even.
We used this size drill bit to make the hole. We chose this size because it matched the large hole in the back.
Drilling in action!
Drilling all done!
Next comes sanding.
Then we painted the bottoms with a cottage white. After they dried we sanded them for a distressed look.
Oops, I forgot to take a picture of staining the tops. All 3 stools got the same stain called Jacobean.
Then we added rope to make the handles. Some rope we could tie knots on the bottom to secure them.
On this stool we used some very thick rope that was going to be a bugger to knot. So instead we unraveled it and stapled it to the bottom. Since the rope is only used to lift the stool we didn’t feel the need to secure the rope any other way.
Done! I love how the same stain was used but all 3 tops took to the stain different.
These can be used inside and outside as we put an exterior poly on them! Can’t you just see your family sitting on these by the campfire! Or doing their homework at their desk!