Jody Harris
Jody Harris
  • Tutorial Team
  • Shelton, WA

Chair Turned to Stool!

$15

We had 3 of these chairs and my partner came to me with an idea she found on Pinterest. We started on it right away and I hope you like it as much as we do!

We had 3 of these Windsor chairs.
We had 3 of these Windsor chairs.
chair turned to stool

We took off the backs of all 3. We started by taking out the screws from the underside that were in the outside “U” shaped piece. Then, taking a dowel that was smaller than the holes, we hammered it through the bottom.

chair turned to stool

Using our trusty Dewalt drill, we drilled holes all the way through the holes where the spindles rested.

chair turned to stool

These are a couple of the bits we used to drill through the rest of the holes. The holes in each chair we realized were different sized.

chair turned to stool

The holes in the back were done. Now to drill new holes in the front of the stool. There was no right or wrong so we placed a mark were we thought it would look even.

chair turned to stool

We used this size drill bit to make the hole. We chose this size because it matched the large hole in the back.

chair turned to stool

Drilling in action!

chair turned to stool

Drilling all done!

chair turned to stool

Next comes sanding.

chair turned to stool

Then we painted the bottoms with a cottage white. After they dried we sanded them for a distressed look.

chair turned to stool

Oops, I forgot to take a picture of staining the tops. All 3 stools got the same stain called Jacobean.

chair turned to stool

Then we added rope to make the handles. Some rope we could tie knots on the bottom to secure them.

chair turned to stool

On this stool we used some very thick rope that was going to be a bugger to knot. So instead we unraveled it and stapled it to the bottom. Since the rope is only used to lift the stool we didn’t feel the need to secure the rope any other way.

chair turned to stool

Done! I love how the same stain was used but all 3 tops took to the stain different.

chair turned to stool

These can be used inside and outside as we put an exterior poly on them! Can’t you just see your family sitting on these by the campfire! Or doing their homework at their desk!

• TW

I have some of these chairs also and the legs are not the same height---the front legs are 17" and the backs are 16". Did you leave as is or did you cut to make it even. I didn't see that step if you did.

• Sandy

i love the finished project, but

I have a couple of questions. Why did you pound dowel pieces into the back holes? And then open them again? Why not just leave them as is? Thanks

• Sandra

I have one of these in my garage now. The back is already off. I think I am going out to see if the holes are ready to start painting or if we have to drill them out. I love these.

• Diane

I noticed that there is a grommet/washer in the holes for the handles. What are the ones you use? Love this idea!!! Side tables for the deck or seats for the deck table!!!

• Jody Harris

They were some old washers that we had in our shop. You could buy new ones and age them. Pinterest has some great recipes on aging metal. Hope this helps.