Easy Unique Look Transformation of Dresser Knobs With Fabric Decoupage

$5

I wanted to cheer up and brighten a bedroom chest of drawers and thought the easiest way to do this on a budget is change the knobs! I had sorted out my wardrobe and found an old cotton kaftan top that didn't fit any more and really loved the vibrant design so thought I'd put it to use with my drawer knob makeover.

Decoupaged Drawer Knobs!

Firstly I got to cutting up my old cotton top into smaller pieces ready to fit some new round 44 mm plain white wooden knobs. I bought a pack of 10.

Drawer Knobs and Fabric

I then cut the fabric to size to gauge how much I would need on the round surface and to gather around the neck of the knob so as to create a smooth tight fit. I then pasted on the mod podge matte all around the surface.

cut the fabric to fit around knob

Then position and smooth the fabric using the Mod Podge on the foam applicator.

Cover the surface fabric with Mod Podge

Making sure to soak the whole surface of fabric and especially around the underneath. This helps to create a hard durable surface. I use Mod Podge Matte seal to keep fixed in place.

stick fabric in place firmly

Then whilst still wet I trimmed the fabric in line with base with sharp scissors to make neat.

Putting thin strip of fabric around gathers

Cut a strip of thin fabric to hold top in place and finish neatly

glue the strip of fabric around base of knob

Glue strip of fabric around base firmly to hold fabric in position.

Trim the fabric underneath

Leave to dry and harden. Then screw into place on your chest of drawers!

Decoupage drawer knobs

I am so happy with the result!

How to make Decoupaged Drawer Knobs

15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall

To see more: http://www.amazon.co.uk/handmade/Susan-Goode-Designs

• Marie Zirilli Whyland
    Marie Zirilli Whyland

Can I do this on metal knobs?

• Alyson
    Alyson

Aaagh! Why no "after" photo of the entire dresser with all the cool new knobs??? I bet it looks fantastic!

• Leslie
      Leslie

This is a great idea thank you for sharing. I loved the top material you used! I was also wondering if soaking the cut rounds or squares in the glue and then using fingers to scrape off excess would have been easier to do? Also since I sew making little diagonal cuts in the circle will help make it easier to "fit" over the knob. In the end this project came out wonderfully!!

• Willie Kissinger
    Willie Kissinger

Is the mosaic table still available?? That is stunning. Thanks

• Susan Goode
      Susan Goode

Yes it is original 30’s bakerlite transformation and I’ve had a lot of interest in it but yes it’s in my Etsy store in susangoodedesigns 😀😀😀