Easy Beautiful Faux Marbled Coasters—No Painting Involved!

$10

A beautiful and simple way to protect your furniture: faux marbled coasters! And although they might look a little intimidating, I promise they are easy to make. :) And what are they made out of? Clay! And absolutely no paint.

First choose two colors. You can use three, but I wouldn't use more than that. If you use three colors, I suggest that one color be white. Keep in mind that the colors will mix and blend into one another, so remember your color wheel (red + yellow = orange, and so on). White creates a nice fade effect.

easy beautiful faux marbled coasters no painting involved

I like neutrals, so I used black and white. First I worked the clay to warm it up. Make sure your work area is totally clean because the clay picks up everything. Clean and then clean again! Work and roll out your lightest color first if you're working on the same area for all colors. Use your hands to roll out into long "strings," then wind together.

Cut in half and twist together again. Then do it a third time. You can do it a fourth for more color mixing, but it gets harder to wind as the clay gets shorter. Then squash it down top to bottom and roll it out using your rolling pin. There no right or wrong approach here; just go with what the clay does.

Once you've rolled out your clay to your desired thickness, grab a circle cookie cutter and cut each coaster out. You may have to ball up and re-roll the clay, which is fun because it will create more intricate patterns. Bake the clay according to your clay package's instructions on thickness. DO NOT over bake or the clay will get bubbles and a shiny burnt look.

What do you think? I love them. For more tips on color mixing and getting intricate patterns, as well as loads more photos, check out the original blog post linked next to my picture below. Also follow me on Facebook for lots of DIY ideas! I also have an easy DIY concrete coasters project you might like, too!

Brittany @by Brittany Goldwyn

1 comment