How do I replace a insert going down to my basement with bilco doors?

I have bilco doors coming in from backyard to basement. The insert has rusted holes in it. When it rains I get water in the basement. How do I have this replaced. I have no idea who to call. The bilco doors are fine. It is just the insert that’s in the ground.

  3 answers
  • Dwp7470b Dwp7470b on Jan 25, 2019

    I am suprised your Contractor who put it in didn't seal it.

    Anyways, You only need to weatherproof between the Insert and patch of grass around the Insert.

    Optionally you can reinforce that with Concrete outside and I do recommend that.

    You basically Dig a Ditch and Pour Cement in the Ditch after you spray the insert with something like: FlexSeal. Smooth out the Concrete and the conrete will reinforce the Sealant you use. If you want Grass around the inset, you just pour less concrete and bury it beneath 2 inches of soil.

    It sounds like a harder job than it is.

    You need around 6 bags of concrete and FlexSeal to do it right.

    • See 1 Previous
    • Dwp7470b Dwp7470b on Feb 03, 2019

      You are obviously downplaying this far too much.

      Because you are I will explain this further and put the Fear of God in you.

      Condition of the Insert/Frame is assuredly better than a Window Screen (as turned into a Boat bottom which FlexSeal in fact does) to yet hold the weight of the Bilco doors.

      Otherwise it would have already collapsed.

      You must realize that the Insert is what keeps the Bilco Doors in Place rather than Dangling Off and Damaging your Wall and Foundation.

      My Recommendation of Concrete is Sure:

      A. to secure Support of the Bilco Doors, that the Entire does not Give way

      B. To prevent circumstances associable to Shift of the Bilco Doors which of course will create a far more serious problem than: 50 years old Steel.

      I know in Fact you need it ASAP.

      You cannot use Bricks. They will Crack under the Weight of Steel. You put Bricks around Steel as a Decoration, not beneath Steel.

      Rust of an Insert/Frame is only the Beginning.

      If it was I, I would remove the entire and do a Complete Refurb and Pour over a span of 4 to 6 weekends next summer. Why?

      Two reasons:

      1. In 2019 to 2023, You will not find a Bilco Door Quality that matches Bilco 1968 or earlier Quality. Thus it merits handling as an Antique and Preservation.

      2. I have 75 years old Steel Girders resident in my Basement. Age of Steel does not alter the chemistry to make rusty steel, exposure to Elements is what Rusts the Steel.

      Having Holes in Steel due to Rust, says only that you need to accomodate all of:

      A. Prevent further exposure.

      B. Create a Substantial Support that is Not Reliant on Rusty Steel.

      C. Preventing Spread of the Rust Further.

      This exposure is likely worst underground than it is Aboveground as Observable.

      Thus, to prevent further Exposure, You need a High Quality Sealant on All Sides, Inside and out of Steel underneath the Weighty Bilco Doors to fully defend it from Rust.

      High Quality Sealant is NOT Rust-O-Leum Paint.

      Paint is by Design Purpose: To Restore and Protect.

      Concrete is not to repair the Holes.

      Concrete is not to prevent from rust either.

      Concrete serves to Assist in holding that entire Structure Level, and uses the Steel Remaining only as a Basis for a Boundary where the new Foundation Exterior ends and Old Foundation Interior Begins.

      Spraying only an Interior with Flexseal does not prevent Exterior Exposure but will Rust behind the Flexseal Interior.

      To get to that Exterior Rust you need to Trench around the Entire Exterior.

      To prevent further Rust/Oxidation you need to

      Seal it up.

      To prevent Collapse, you Pour Concrete in the Trench to Support the Weight.

      If you want to grow grass, bury the concrete under soil.

      Then Seal the Inside too

      This is even as I suggested.

      If you do not do this, you will need to replace the Insert and Possibly also the Entire Bilco Doors in 5 years of less.

      If in that process toward Agreeing you should have Listened to Dave Sooner, you get lean or tilt, you are not looking at a Mere Sealant and 1/6 cubic Yard Concrete Pour of 6 Bags...

      That is the Right away Resources, $120 or so.

      You are instead looking at Water Damage and an Increased Likelihood that the Weight of the Bilco Doors were not Supported enough to prevent Breach in your Foundation Wall and Lean on your Structure.

      Repairing a Foundation Wall does not Cost 6 Bags of Concrete and FlexSeal in 5 years.

      Sometimes it includes: Replacing a Chimney, Installing a New Roof, All new Rain Gutters, a Necessity to excavate and place pipes for drainage into sewer pipes and the list can go on and on...but summarizes as: Even a Small

      Repair to a Breached Foundation costs over 90 Bags of concrete, in easily a 3 Cubic Yard Pour.

      How you pour concrete professionally is not: Waiting until the entire Levee Breaks to then Replace only the Dam.

      Instead: you pour concrete to Prevent Breach altogether.

      Breach Cause is Always a Flimsy support.

      Rusty Insert is? A Flimsy Support.

      If you persist allowing that Exterior Rust to Eat to the Interior, you may as well sell your home now and fast. One day that Steel is Going to Give, just like Chickenwire Flexes. Even in a Henhouse Construction, You cannot Bolt Steel Plates to a Chickenwire Foundation. Instead You Plank Chickenwire to the Wood or Weld it to a Steel Frame or Place that chickenwire in a Frame for Concrete after Setting some Posts for the Rest of the Henhouse.

      Same applies to your Steel Inset/Frame.

      With enough holes, it will indeed Bend, Warp Tilt or Break, like Chickenwire.

      However, If you do not value your family more than $120 my only advice is: Please do Shoot them now. Shot Sooner is better than victimize they later.

      When it does give: Neither You nor your pets nor your Family want your Head, Arms, Feet, Hands or Legs on the recieving end of that 450 lbs of Steel.

  • Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Jan 25, 2019

    If you do not know of a small contractor who can help you or even a relative or neighbour, usually hardware stores have a contractor they call on to do work for their store customers. You will probably have to purchase materials to fix it so ask when you are there as most ladies are not capable of doing this type of repair work. Fix it as soon as you can so the water does not rot your floor on the inside of your home.

  • Ellis Ellis on Feb 01, 2019

    Bilco is still in business. Check their website. Perhaps they can give you some pointers, or tell you the name of a contractor who sells/installs their products and can give you an estimate.

Your comment...