How do I add insulation for a basement?

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jan 25, 2019

It will depend on the construction of the basement. Please provide more information, perhaps some pictures, and then you can get better advice.

• See 1 Previous
    • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jan 26, 2019

That sounds like a great plan. I was thinking finished space but you seem to have really thought it out. We have a farmhouse that is vacant like that often. My husband hooked up a small compressor to the washing machine to blow out the lines when we expected extreme temps below freezing and we would put pink stuff for rv in the toilets. Just in case. We replumbed with pex in 2009 and so much easier now. Anyway, I think you will be surprised at how warm the basement will be adding a vent. My city house has an unfinished block basement. Half is crawl space, half 7-8’ high (built on a hillside) and no insulation. It stays really warm considering. My son decided to move in it when he was 22 (freedom😜) and added one vent off the bedroom. He likes it cool so it was fine for him. Probably stayed around 60.

• Lynn Lynn on Jan 26, 2019

Thanks much. I researched some heaters but they would do nothing for a space that’s 1000 square feet. It’s way too costly to add foam and or the foam boards which according to code have to be covered by sheet rock. We have an hvac contractor coming over this week to add the duct.

• Seth Seth on Jan 27, 2019

Lynn,

You mentioned you shut off the water main. In addition to doing that, you need to drain your system as well. All your plumbing is pitched at an angle so it will drain. In your basement you may already have a main drain that will allow any water left in the lines to be drained out. That drain usually gets left open while you are not using the house. Then, you fill all your traps (sinks, toilets, toilet tanks, tubs/showers) with a little bit of non-toxic antifreeze. (You would also have to drain the washing machine lines.) This will prevent freezing of any water left in the traps that does not drain. This will also help protect your house if you lose your heat for some reason, which is always a concern when you are not there. If you do not have a main drain, have one installed. I would consult with a plumber as well as your HVAC person.