Shelly L Nemeth
Shelly L Nemeth
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Gilbert, AZ

Magnolia Garden Crate Tray

$12

This crate is beautiful, but I just was not willing to pay that price. I decided to just go ahead and make my own for a fraction of that price.I used wood I already had on hand, and used chicken wire as the bottom- all set! Let me know what you think- the one for sale for $64 or my DIY one? Here's how I made it.

magnolia garden crate tray

First, you need to cut the wood to size.

4 2x2” cut at 4 1/2 ins

2 1x3” cut at 24”

3 1x3” cut 16 1/4”

You'll also need some cloth wire mesh - 24”x16”

magnolia garden crate tray

Once you have cut all your wood you’ll need a nail gun to assemble it.

magnolia garden crate tray

Nail together with the 24” being your front and add 16” to the side. Place it behind and nail it in. You want to make sure you do not see the side boards from the front.

magnolia garden crate tray

Next place your 2x2” in all four corners and the center and apply the center support. Use a clamp and to pull both sides in tight and nail together.

magnolia garden crate tray

Once all the pieces are attached, apply a stain.

magnolia garden crate tray

And then let it dry.

magnolia garden crate tray

Last step- turn it upside down and using your stapler (I used Robi hand held one) to attach the wire cloth mesh

magnolia garden crate tray

And it looks great!

magnolia garden crate tray

I added a final touch by making a vinyl stencil with my Cricut.

magnolia garden crate tray

In total it only cost me around $10-$12! Not bad!

magnolia garden crate tray

Magnolias And mine! So if you don’t have $64 and are looking for a very close look I think this project nails it! What are your thoughts?

• Paula Ball

What is the purpose of this crate? Is it functional or decorative?

• Lesa D

Nice😊 I love the idea of stacking a couple. So many useful ideas for these!

• Rosy

Isn't this made from a rabbit type wire and not chicken wire.

• Shelley Taylor

Yes it’s Hardware Cloth and you can get it in 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch which is nice for different projects.

• Donna

What is it? I don’t get it-

• Cathie

What a great little tray to place by your garden bench, so when you take time out to enjoy a lemonade, a Coke, or a cold beer, you’ll have a cute tray to place your gloves and drink while you rest! I’m going to make several in different sizes - love the stacking idea.

• Theresa Penrod

Loved it. Looks better with the stencil.