Shelly L Nemeth
Shelly L Nemeth
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Gilbert, AZ

Magnolia Garden Crate Tray

$12

This crate is beautiful, but I just was not willing to pay that price. I decided to just go ahead and make my own for a fraction of that price.I used wood I already had on hand, and used chicken wire as the bottom- all set! Let me know what you think- the one for sale for $64 or my DIY one? Here's how I made it.

magnolia garden crate tray

First, you need to cut the wood to size.

4 2x2” cut at 4 1/2 ins

2 1x3” cut at 24”

3 1x3” cut 16 1/4”

You'll also need some cloth wire mesh - 24”x16”

magnolia garden crate tray

Once you have cut all your wood you’ll need a nail gun to assemble it.

magnolia garden crate tray

Nail together with the 24” being your front and add 16” to the side. Place it behind and nail it in. You want to make sure you do not see the side boards from the front.

magnolia garden crate tray

Next place your 2x2” in all four corners and the center and apply the center support. Use a clamp and to pull both sides in tight and nail together.

magnolia garden crate tray

Once all the pieces are attached, apply a stain.

magnolia garden crate tray

And then let it dry.

magnolia garden crate tray

Last step- turn it upside down and using your stapler (I used Robi hand held one) to attach the wire cloth mesh

magnolia garden crate tray

And it looks great!

magnolia garden crate tray

I added a final touch by making a vinyl stencil with my Cricut.

magnolia garden crate tray

In total it only cost me around $10-$12! Not bad!

magnolia garden crate tray

Magnolias And mine! So if you don’t have $64 and are looking for a very close look I think this project nails it! What are your thoughts?

• Jeanne Simpson

Wouldn't it be a good idea to put felt or something around the edges to keep the hardware cloth from scratching the table? Other alternative would be to recess the hardware cloth either by routering out the edge to make a place to attach it, or add a smaller piece of wood around the edge to raise it up.

• John Biermacher

Is there a practical reason that the corner blocks extend above the box? At first, I thought (incorrectly) they might be feet and the tray was upside done.

• Melissa

I was wondering the same thing.

• Shelly L Nemeth

It’s can be used both ways but really I just did it because I was making it look just like original

• Shelly L Nemeth

It holds the side together and makes it strong and when you flip it you have legs also 😊

• John Biermacher

Missed the photo of the original- assumed it was your project. Therefore- mission accomplished!

• Fran

Also makes for easy, stable stacking, i.e. seedlings.

• Susan Lundquist

Good idea for starting seeds, or repair patches for the lawn.

• Paula Ball

What is the purpose of this crate? Is it functional or decorative?

• Fran2

I have the same question. What is it’s purpose?

• Jamie Marie Buckner

Purely decorative

• Jane

It can be either. As a decorative tray, I can see it holding (outside) small pots of succulents or other plants. As a functional element, it would make a great cutting/seedling tray. Watering would be a snap, allowing drainage. Just a couple of quick thoughts.

I love it.

• Shelly L Nemeth

Can be used to water plants

• Joanie

Long legs and it would be sturdy and strong enough, with that wire.....for a summer table or indoor table. The wire is strong....if it can hold watered down plants, it is strong. I've seen the wire and it is table strength. Oh by the way......I LOVE it!!

• Derenda

I do three stacked up with legs down. It makes a great little extra coffee table, I sort mail, stack magazines. When needed I turn one over for a sturdy carrying tray. If I don't want them in the house, I take them out to the potting shed for bulbs, difting potting soil mix. Mine are made with hardware cloth, though, not chicken wire. And I love using them.

• Top1688982

Love it

• Lesa D

Nice😊 I love the idea of stacking a couple. So many useful ideas for these!

• Rosy

Isn't this made from a rabbit type wire and not chicken wire.

• Shelly L Nemeth

It’s in same dept. there is a different name

• Denise Davenport

That is called hardware cloth! Chicken wire (poultry netting) is hexagon shaped, much more open, and less sturdy! I dont know why they always mix them up on this site.

• Rosy

Never heard it called hardware cloth. We used this on our rabbit hutches. Definately not what we call chicken wire.

• Donna Lee Scott Thomas

Denise, do you think a frame like this, made with hardware cloth, would be strong enough to be mounted horizontally, as a display for wine bottle wind chimes and other hanging yard art?

• Shelley Taylor

Yes it’s Hardware Cloth and you can get it in 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch which is nice for different projects.

• Donna

What is it? I don’t get it-

• Cathie

What a great little tray to place by your garden bench, so when you take time out to enjoy a lemonade, a Coke, or a cold beer, you’ll have a cute tray to place your gloves and drink while you rest! I’m going to make several in different sizes - love the stacking idea.

• Theresa Penrod

Loved it. Looks better with the stencil.