Farmhouse Hanging Kitchen Towel Tutorial

$3

I am excited to show you how to make one of my kitchen essentials-an oven hanging dish towel. I use these all the time and they are super easy to make. So I decided to show you how simple this really is!

farmhouse hanging kitchen towel tutorial

First gather your materials- a needle, thread, scissors, pins, a sewing machine,a button, pot holder (I recommend the ones with the hook in the middle to keep it simple) and a dishtowel.

I first iron the dishtowel to get rid of all the folds.

Next I find the center by folding the dish towel in half. Then along that middle fold line run a gathering stitch and gather!

Once gathered, I place the dish towel on top of the pot holder as shown in the picture. (With right sides together and with the middle of the pot holder aligned with the middle of the dish towel.) Note: Make sure that the hanging tab will be at the top of your dish towel.

Then I sew the dishcloth and pot holder together.

Once sewn, I flip the pot holder/dish towel combo over (it should look like the picture above with the loop being at the top)

Your dish towel should now drape nicely from the bottom of your pot holder. Fold your pot holder in half once more to find where you should place your button. This will depend on how long the hanging tab is that came with your pot holder. Then sew it on firmly.

I placed mine about 1/2 inch down from the top

Your hanging dish towel is now ready to be placed on your oven bar!

Like I said, it's so easy and I really do love using them. They come in so handy and add a nice touch to the kitchen.

• Rose Babcock-Lamphere

And if you don't have a sewing machine?? Just stichit manually?? Will the results be the same??

• Teresa Mahieu

Almost anything that can be sewn on a machine can be sewn by hand. Just keep your stitches evenly spaced.

• Shelly L Nemeth

Yes for sure

• Lori

If you sew small enough stitches it will. When you put in you draw stitches to sinch the towel pull tight. I do one going one way and one going the other. Pull the threads to make it the size of pot holder. Make knots in thread then sew on pot holder. Just a couple of more steps.

• Jaynie

Awesome, Lori! I've been sewing for 50 years and have NEVER thought to sew a draw string in both directions!! Duh me!

• Arci

I bet if do doble row and reinforce or double knot it will do fine.

• Angela

I have seen these my whole life, just never made one.

• Dfm

Remember to wash the materials used before sewing them together. Occasionaly the dyes used on the towels will bleed to other towels.

• Colleen

When I open the oven door the towel ends up on the floor