Farmhouse Hanging Kitchen Towel Tutorial

$3

I am excited to show you how to make one of my kitchen essentials-an oven hanging dish towel. I use these all the time and they are super easy to make. So I decided to show you how simple this really is!

First gather your materials- a needle, thread, scissors, pins, a sewing machine,a button, pot holder (I recommend the ones with the hook in the middle to keep it simple) and a dishtowel.

I first iron the dishtowel to get rid of all the folds.

Next I find the center by folding the dish towel in half. Then along that middle fold line run a gathering stitch and gather!

Once gathered, I place the dish towel on top of the pot holder as shown in the picture. (With right sides together and with the middle of the pot holder aligned with the middle of the dish towel.) Note: Make sure that the hanging tab will be at the top of your dish towel.

Then I sew the dishcloth and pot holder together.

Once sewn, I flip the pot holder/dish towel combo over (it should look like the picture above with the loop being at the top)

Your dish towel should now drape nicely from the bottom of your pot holder. Fold your pot holder in half once more to find where you should place your button. This will depend on how long the hanging tab is that came with your pot holder. Then sew it on firmly.

I placed mine about 1/2 inch down from the top

Your hanging dish towel is now ready to be placed on your oven bar!

Like I said, it's so easy and I really do love using them. They come in so handy and add a nice touch to the kitchen.

21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th

• Rose Babcock-Lamphere
    Rose Babcock-Lamphere

And if you don't have a sewing machine?? Just stichit manually?? Will the results be the same??

• Teresa Mahieu
      Teresa Mahieu

Almost anything that can be sewn on a machine can be sewn by hand. Just keep your stitches evenly spaced.

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

Yes for sure

• Lori
      Lori

If you sew small enough stitches it will. When you put in you draw stitches to sinch the towel pull tight. I do one going one way and one going the other. Pull the threads to make it the size of pot holder. Make knots in thread then sew on pot holder. Just a couple of more steps.

• Jaynie
      Jaynie

Awesome, Lori! I've been sewing for 50 years and have NEVER thought to sew a draw string in both directions!! Duh me!

• Arci
      Arci

I bet if do doble row and reinforce or double knot it will do fine.

• Mary lou
      Mary lou

I have made many of these towel and I sewed them all by hand, I sold many at craft shows.

• PamPam
      PamPam

You can also use dental floss for the gathering thread and it won't break.

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

Sure will

• Angel
    Angel

I have seen these my whole life, just never made one.

• Issi Simpson
    Issi Simpson

I use an old golf towel and a shower curtain ring. Quick and easy.

• David
    David

How do you keep the towel clean?...I mean if you open the oven door, does the towel not hit the floor?

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

No because my over is built in my wall 😊

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

no floor for mine

• David
      David

I guess my question goes to those that don't have wall ovens...one of the pictures shows a free-standing range, that is why I asked...

• Denise
      Denise

I don't think it was intended to be used as a pot holder. It is just a clever way to have a towel hanging on your oven door. I have never used mine as a pot holder. If you have a burner on the bottom of your oven, that towel could easily catch fire if you use the pot holder part to get your hot things out of the oven.

• Maggie
    Maggie

I have made these but find folding the towel easier than gathering it.

• Doreen Kennedy
    Doreen Kennedy

My old crocheted one finally bit the dust. Yours would be an easy replacement. Thanks for sharing.