How to Transform and up Cycle an Old Coffee Table With Glass Mosaics

$13

I enjoy transforming a charity store vintage coffee table by breathing new life into it with tiled colour and pattern!. Coffee tables can be very lovely pieces of practical yet creative art to hopefully last and be admired for another 60 years!

Disclaimer: while this table is lovely in it's own right, it wasn't necessarily my style. I decided to make it over, but I understand if others would choose to keep it the way it is.

Preparing table background of white paper

It is much easier to design and stick tiles on a plain white background as well as a better surface for tiles to stick to.

Tiling the edge with bright glass tiles

Start around the outer edge with nice even spaces between tiles for grout. I chose a color palette of red, green, blue, white and black. The tiles are a mix of translucent an sparkly dark and light to add texture.

Tile in straight lines towards center.

Ready to grout when tiles are all dry and in position.

grout with Uni bond ready mix in Black

Squish it into all crevices and start from the center working outwards.

When all done including around edges and trim it is time for the reveal as it is cleaned away. I use warm water on a cloth.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Cleaning grout off table

Keep cleaning and hey presto the big reveal as begin to see how beautiful the patterns and colours are!

Cleaning and revealing pattern

I'm so thrilled at the final result!

Vintage coffee table transformed with mosaic

To see more: http://www.amazon.co.uk/handmade/Susan-Goode-Designs

• Katie

How much money for the table displayed? Thank you

• Susan Goode

Hi I have it for sale on line via etsy and amazon handmade stores for £145 plus shipping to USA is approx £60 and Europe £38.

• Linda Abate

Such a colorful piece you have created. Because of the various shapes and size of tile used, were you able to get a completely flat surface for setting things down or did you or would you consider putting a piece of glass on top to protect the tiles? NICE JOB.

• Susan Goode

Yes is flat and tiles are very durable thanks for your support and feedback 😀

• PamPam

I am confused. Did you cover the original surface with white paper and set the tiles on that? If so, what keeps the entire top from coming off? It is lovely.

• Cherie

it looks like she uses regular white glue on the tiles. I imagine that type of glue would go through the paper. I have only ever done mosaics with mastic. I am really curious how well this holds up. I could save a ton of money on mastic if so!