How to Transform and up Cycle an Old Coffee Table With Glass Mosaics

$13

I enjoy transforming a charity store vintage coffee table by breathing new life into it with tiled colour and pattern!. Coffee tables can be very lovely pieces of practical yet creative art to hopefully last and be admired for another 60 years!

Disclaimer: while this table is lovely in it's own right, it wasn't necessarily my style. I decided to make it over, but I understand if others would choose to keep it the way it is.

Preparing table background of white paper

It is much easier to design and stick tiles on a plain white background as well as a better surface for tiles to stick to.

Tiling the edge with bright glass tiles

Start around the outer edge with nice even spaces between tiles for grout. I chose a color palette of red, green, blue, white and black. The tiles are a mix of translucent an sparkly dark and light to add texture.

Tile in straight lines towards center.

Ready to grout when tiles are all dry and in position.

grout with Uni bond ready mix in Black

Squish it into all crevices and start from the center working outwards.

When all done including around edges and trim it is time for the reveal as it is cleaned away. I use warm water on a cloth.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Cleaning grout off table

Keep cleaning and hey presto the big reveal as begin to see how beautiful the patterns and colours are!

Cleaning and revealing pattern

I'm so thrilled at the final result!

Vintage coffee table transformed with mosaic

To see more: http://www.amazon.co.uk/handmade/Susan-Goode-Designs

• Elise

I love this! I don't understand the white paper. I can't follow. Did you cut out white paper and then put the tiles on top? Did you glue the paper down?

Thanks

• CrazyClock

Just adding my two cents: the paper as an underlayment is fine and in no way interferes with mosaic adhesion provided the target surface is properly clean. It's how I've always done my mosaics because I draw out the design, then stick the tiles to the paper, then I can transport the entire piece to the surface or in sheets easy enough for me to handle. :D

As for painting the surface - absolutely you can do it, but it's an extra step (and too much time and trouble for those of us who want instant gratification). Totally up to you

• Lynda ryan

The original picture show a floral pattern. What was that material? Fabric?

• CrazyClock

If it's fabric, it could be fiberglass if it's original 1950s or 1960s? Look up fiberglass salad bowls from the 60s - I still have some from my childhood home :) Very cool. It might be printed metal like TV trays from that era, too. The legs look the style.

• Katie

How much money for the table displayed? Thank you

• Susan Goode

Hi I have it for sale on line via etsy and amazon handmade stores for £145 plus shipping to USA is approx £60 and Europe £38.