Suzanne
Suzanne
  • Lexington, SC

Old White Ceiling Fan Gets An Update!

$36.

We are in the process of remodeling our home office. One of the eye sores is an old white, dirty ceiling fan that is probably 20 years old! Below is the fan before. My husband took it down and then It was my turn!

Fan before!
Fan before!

I found an inspiration post on Hometalk. Once I cleaned the fan, it was time to cover up the electrical with painters tape.

Wires all covered
Wires all covered

I also found a great idea on how to paint the screws. You stick them in a piece of styrofoam! Genius!

Screws in styrofoam
Screws in styrofoam

Now time to spray paint the pieces. I picked a soft black metal spray paint.

Box full of painted fan pieces
Box full of painted fan pieces

I was planning on painting the fan blades to look like destessed wood until I discovered something wonderful! The blades were reversible and the back of the blades were a nice light wood grain finish! I decided to leave them alone!

Reverse side of white blades
Reverse side of white blades

Once the paint dried, it was time to put the fan back up. I also decided to replace the old glass globes with cages and regular bulbs with Edison bulbs...from my inspiration post.

Cage Globes and Edison Light Bulbs
Cage Globes and Edison Light Bulbs

I bought the new covers and bulbs on Amazon.

Ready to put back up
Ready to put back up

By the way, the cage covers tighten easily on the light socket cover so fits any fan.

Here it is now!
Here it is now!

Close up
Close up

There it is! I love how it turned out! My husband had the hardest part with taking it down and putting it back up!

Another after photo
Another after photo

Now on to the rest of the office! That project to come!

• Julie A Fancher

I just painted my white fan blades a dark gray and left the base white, my question is, I need an idea to change the one round globe I have covering my light bulbs, do they make cages for this?

• Angie

Do the Edison bulbs out out enough light for a room?

• Suzanne

Yes you can order bright bulbs. Search amazon for day light

• Cathy

Where do you get the cages. If I google that what should I search for?

• Leslie

Love this idea

• Lisa Cossettini

That truly looks great. sometimes the updates on here, don't look as if they were made that way, they just end up looking painted or repurposed with a crafty look. this is great! looks as if it was made originally that way.