How to Update Your Oil Rubbed Bronze Lamp Bases Using 2 Tbsp of Paint

$1

I recently did a nightstand make-over and then decided to update the bases on my stained glass lamps. The oil rubbed bronze just didn’t gel with my pretty new nightstands!

Step 1: 

I cleaned them with dish soap and water. Then I painted a portion of the bases and tops on the shades with mineral paint – in liberty blue – using a precision brush.  One coat.

Step 2: 

Next I painted the rest of the bases, as well as the little screws at the top, with metallic gold. I did 3 very thin coats.

Step 3: 

I did one final coat of gold glitter paint. Just a very thin coat (to match the hardware on my nightstands).

This only took about an hour to do, as by the time I finished one colour the other lamp was dry. So quick, easy and very inexpensive! And I think they look much better! Although I may re-do the blue with a softer colour at some point down the road. That's the beauty of this simple technique - the colour can very quickly change to whatever you choose!

Fusion mineral paint - liberty blue

30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home

• Aiokersonalicea1
    Aiokersonalicea1

I inherited my grandmother's brass lamp. I have to rewire the internal wiring to bring it up to par.

The finish is tarnished and dull. What is the best way to fix that, do I need to get Brasso or do I paint it?

• Aiokersonalicea1
      Aiokersonalicea1

It is BRASS.

It is a 1940's lamp. The way it is designed you're able to replace the electrical cord. And due to it being that old that is my reason for doing that.

I would like to get it where it looked when my grandparents first bought it.

I have already purchased a lampshade how to replace the old one that was falling apart.

• Christy Roppel
    Christy Roppel

I had a plastic "Tiffany" style lamp shade....I wonder what it would look like painted. It may look pretty with just the raised details and maybe distressed a bit....If I try, I'll post. What are your opinions?

• Jeanstar
    Jeanstar

The gold looks great. Where did you use the liberty blue paint? I don’t see it in the “after” photo.

• Pickle
    Pickle

Love it!!!

• Ann Stuart
    Ann Stuart

Looks truly Fabulous,would love to TRY something like this,always admired a tiffany lamp!