DIY Pendant Lights Using Lamp Shades

$20

I knew when we moved into our home that I was going to be making a few adjustments to our kitchen. It's not 100% my style but I knew I could make it my own with a few projects. Painting the walls was my first task. And thanks to my son who "accidentally" flooded the upstairs bathroom and ruined our ceilings in the kitchen, painting of the kitchen was expedited. We will refer to him from now on as the "Wet

diy pendant lights using lamp shades

You'll see why in a second...hang tight. And you'll also need a Dremel for this project. I promise you it's not as scary as it sounds. Do not fear the Dremel. It is so easy to use and made this project a breeze. Purchasing a Dremel is so much less expensive than purchasing two new pendants and nagging my husband to install them (or waiting patiently for my dad to help).

I found lamp shades at Lowes for $12 and I loved their cone like shape. The gold lining is so pretty. Whatever lamp shade you choose should have this as the fitting. I'm sure there is a professional word for this fitting but I have no clue what it is.

diy pendant lights using lamp shades

If you bought a new lamp shade for this project I highly recommend keeping the plastic wrap on (if it has one) until you are done Dremeling (that's totally a word). It'll keep your lamp shade protected from the dust. You'll want to use the disk attachment on your Dremel (a few disks will be included in your kit). You are going to cut out the middle circle of the lamp shade fitting.

diy pendant lights using lamp shades

I highly recommend you do this part outside and wear protective glasses. Do this to all three prongs (or whatever they are called). And you'll be left with this:

diy pendant lights using lamp shades

Your lamp shade has officially been de-circled. You can end it right here or take it a step further like I did...because I can never leave well enough alone.

I painted a black trim around the bottom and top of my lamp shade. I originally tried gluing ribbon and that was bad, very bad. The cone shape made it difficult to get a smooth trim with the ribbon. I had left over paint from when I painted my shutters and just used that. You can also use fabric paint.

I used the trim on the shade as my guide and taped along the trim.

diy pendant lights using lamp shades

The top of the lamp shade was a little tricky since it was extra cone shaped so I had to get a little creative with the tape.

diy pendant lights using lamp shades

And I very very very carefully painted the trim. I mean, I was border line hyperventilating at this point because I was so nervous that I was going to mess it up. But it was a success. I also painted the trim on the inside of the shade since you will see it once it's hung.

After everything was dry I slipped the lamp shade up from the bottom of the pendant and had the three prongs sit on top of the pendant like this:

diy pendant lights using lamp shades

It's nothing fancy. If you need to you can add electrical tape or wire to help keep things in place. So far mine have stayed just as is. And that's it. Twelve bucks (times 2) later and I have myself new pendants.

diy pendant lights using lamp shades

Head over to my blog to see what my kitchen pendant lights looked like before and I linked a few other affordable lamp shades!

Jenna Lantern Lane Designs