Stacy Davis
Stacy Davis
  • Tutorial Team
  • Fredericksburg, VA

Pyramid Crate Organizer

$100

This project is one in a long line of projects to organize my daughter's room. I started to go back and count how many times I have built a project to do this and then she never used it and decided, "Nope, don't look back!" So, I began again with two of my favorite materials. Crates and stair treads. I had a rough beta of my idea put together in no time. If you are looking for a good song to listen to while

Colored Crates-Top Home Depot Bottom Michaels

I felt such a feeling of joy when I walked into Home Depot and Michaels and found out that my beloved crates now have colored options! I bought the gray stain at Home Depot.

pyramid crate organizer

I am starting with a stair tread as the base of my unit. You can find the post where I created this piece at Hometalk here http://www.hometalk.com/28485487/how-to-take-..., I placed three crates upright on top.

pyramid crate organizer

And the final three on top, like so... see, a pyramid shelf. The peel and stick wall paper is from Target. My daughter picked it out. It is dark blue with gold paint splotches and reminded her of a night sky and the constellations. I am putting it on the back of the crates to make them look less "crateish"

pyramid crate organizer

I went back and forth on which direction that I wanted the top crate to go. Upright and I could have the outer sides be organizers for her but horizontally gave more surface area. I ended up going with the upright direction, but you do you!

pyramid crate organizer

My shelf supports were just some scraps of wood that I had laying around. I think they were roughly 1 by 1 inch. You just need something with a bit of an edge for the shelf to sit on.

pyramid crate organizer

Here are my shelf supports after I spray painted them and my chicken supervisor inspecting my work as usual. I wanted to add a shelf to each crate to double the storage.

pyramid crate organizer

This is the wallpaper from Target. On one piece, I removed the backing but it didn't stick probably because the crates are stained. On the rest, I left the backing on and used a staple gun to hold all of them in place.

pyramid crate organizer

For the shelf supports that went into slats, I used my staple gun. This one came with lots of options for lengths of staples. You can get this staple gun on amazon... it is the bomb! Get the staple selection pack too... because sometimes you want little staples and sometimes you want LONG ones and this pack has everything in between too.

pyramid crate organizer

I selected a staple that would go through the slat and grab the shelf support. I also used glue.

pyramid crate organizer

The two middle crates had shelf supports that went into thick wood and not slats. For these two crates, I used nails and glue to attach the shelf supports.

pyramid crate organizer

Since my shelves are just holding light items, I am using plank paneling. It is lightweight, easy to cut and fairly inexpensive. You can find a picture of the plank paneling that I use here... http://www.hometalk.com/40251800/gorm-shelf-i...

pyramid crate organizer

For each shelf, I used two pieces of paneling and a piece of lattice. The paneling left just a small amount of space and the lattice filled the space perfectly. I spray painted all the these pieces gray.

pyramid crate organizer

I added peel and stick cork board to each side of the top crate. I am going to find some cute push pins and she can keep mementos and pictures here.

pyramid crate organizer

All done! I think it should work well in either of their rooms. I think with doubling the shelving, it is more efficient. I plan on using flat brackets to attach everything on the back side. That way if I move, I can unscrew all the components.

pyramid crate organizer

You can even customize the cork on the sides. My daughter loves the show Friends and I saw a similar idea on Pinterest for hanging photos. The D smeared a bit but I still love it. If it bothers her, I will try to find some paint to match the cork but for now, I’m calling this project done!

• You mentioned using lattice, but I don't see where in the pictures?

• Stacy Davis

I should have called it lattice moulding. I am attaching a screenshot. It is a thin piece of wood that was very similar to the thickness of the panels that I was using on the shelf. You can usually buy it in white composite or in wood, primed or unfinished.

• Rose Tovey

You could use bun feet, if you liked that look. Maybe more secure ?

• Bonnie Woolever

Looks great, and a great idea!

The supervisor is cute too!

• Terrie
    30 minutes ago

Awesome organization skills! Love the starry night paper for the background of the crates. The gray color being the new "neutral" goes with any color room. Great choice 👍