Ugly Dated Bathroom Makeover for Under $2000

$2000
6 Months
Advanced

Slowly, my husband and I redid our master bath. The total cost was around $2000!! That’s for everything. I made some sacrifices, we took our time, saved up, did a little here and there, and I bought things among the way and saved them until we started (like the vanity). My husband did all the work. I made all the decisions, gave orders, changed my mind, yelled, cursed, and finally styled the finished bathroom. Luckily, my spouse is patient, mechanically gifted (he can build, fix, install, plumb, electrical, tile, and do ANYTHING), and he doesn’t care about decor a bit. His motto is “whatever you want.” Maybe that’s why we’ve been together for 28 years?

Before the medicine cabinets, mirror, and vanity were ripped out. The medicine cabinets left huge holes in the wall; that’s also why we added the shiplap.

UGLY and dated 😩
UGLY and dated 😩

The old shower/tub.

ugly dated bathroom makeover for under 2000

The window is the only thing that stayed the same.

We put up wood shiplap because the house (being older) had walls that were uneven and warped and this helped hide the imperfections. We could not afford to rip out every wall and put up new ones. I’m not a fan of the whole farmhouse look but sometimes you have to make do. FYI, I learned the hard way to prime before painting wood like this. The knots bled through terribly and I had to go back and prime all of the bleeding spots and repaint them.

We first stained our vanity but I HATED it. I saw a beautiful dark gray color on Instagram and used it to repaint the vanity. Also, the wall color is the BEFORE; I also HATED the beige. You’ll see the painted vanity and different wall color in the after (below) photos. ***Do you like the before (wall & vanity) or after better?***

Before I changed my mind & painted the vanity

I bought that cabinet for $60. It’s what is called a “pie cabinet.” I don’t care that’s it’s not what’s technically a storage piece. Using our imagination and creativity is what fuels inspiration and makes things reimagined! Right????

The cabinet was filthy and ugly black. I painted it and I’m thinking of adding removable wall paper over the front glass. Thoughts?

Well, hello there beautiful bathroom!
Well, hello there beautiful bathroom!

The tile in the shower is real cement stone. I LOVE it. This is the 2nd tile job. The first we ended up ripping out because we couldn’t find a thing to frame it. We got fed up and started over. Lesson learned: have your end piece tiles before you begin. Here, we didn’t need any! And this tile was super cheap!

Real store tile
Real store tile

I wanted lots of texture and different elements: wood, stone, natural elements, etc. Notice I also have different fixtures. They don’t have to match! You CAN have various colors BUT keep them all the same finish. Mine are all rubbed finish. The brass lights are from eBay (also changed my mind and replaced the first set), the facets are rubbed bronze, the cabinet pulls (Etsy) are rubbed brass. Mirrors are from Hobby Lobby ($30 each- cheap!), macrame wall piece from the clearance section at Cracker Barrel ($10), valance ($10), shower curtain ($13), rug ($8), & wooden stool ($40) are from TJMaxx, white stool from Target ($35).

Pretty awesome if I say so myself
Pretty awesome if I say so myself

Window is the only thing we kept.
Window is the only thing we kept.

The addition of the stone “backsplash” was last minute. We had a lot of leftover tile and I didn’t want to waste it. My brother suggested this idea. I didn’t like it at first and actually took a family vote. I lost the vote but happily did! It looks awesome. The blue soap dispenser is Target’s Opalhouse line.

The lights are my favorite thing.
The lights are my favorite thing.

The paint color was an original! 😬 I originally had a beige and hated it. I told my husband to take the paint to our local hardware store and tell them to add green. I didn’t care what it looked like to be honest. This is what he came home with. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Believe it or not, that little wooden still gets used a LOT! I’ve had that floral piece forever!!! Some things are worth keeping.

I thought I’d throw in a picture of the cabinet before I painted it. I’d never done a project like this before. I winged it and was very happy with the result. My husband and brother had to add new sides, a back, and shelves. They were warped and ruined.

Bathroom cabinet Before
Bathroom cabinet Before

Not real keen with the inside color but I wanted a bright contrast.

After
After

I used 3 paints, and 2 waxes. Not too bad for my first piece. There’s a lot of depth and dimension!

After
After

• Brenda

Where did you get your rug? I have been looking for one like it. Beautiful job!

• Kelly J. Tinney

Hi again Brenda. I was in TJ Max a few days ago. They have the rugs you asked about. I don’t know if you have a TJM near you but I’m sure any of the stores like it will have these rugs.

• Mary

where did you buy the cement tiles for your shower?

• Kelly J. Tinney

We bought them at a place near us called Southeastern Salvage. It’s located in Chattanooga, TN. I’m sure Lowe’s or Home Depot would have them. Also, check the Habitat for Humanity stores if you’re near any.

• Vicki

Didn’t you say you painted the vanity a dark gray?

I don’t see a pic of that.

• Kelly J. Tinney

There’s a photo of it before (stained) in the 5th picture. All the other pictures are of the vanity painted.

• Cheryl Williamsen

Concrete is not waterproof, it is porous. Did you seal the tiles or are they made with resin instead of cement and water? How are they to clean?

• Cheryl Rambo

Here's a thought....if you don't like clear glass you can use a frosted removable film or use spray glass etching. It will hide your things somewhat while still being semi see through.

• Kelly J. Tinney

That’s a great idea. I never thought about etching, or the frosted film. Thanks so much for the ideas!!!