Mini Fireplace Makeover...

$40

So I love our new house, but we have what might be the ugliest fireplace in the country... and I am in the process of trying to make it pretty-ER.... I am planning several projects for my living room, but of course, can only do what my budget allows.. this project is nice and inexpensive but it makes a great impact!

U-G-L-Y...

Now, at the present time I can't do anything about the tile covered monstrosity the previous owners created to hide the wood burning stove... so I decided to try and divert the eyes away...

All I need was one faux brick panel...

some DAP Dynagrip HD and a willing partner to cut the panel for you !

Apply the adhesive in an X bead and nail into place...

Once the panel is in place... use a wide putty knife to spread spackle in middle of brick, skipping every few bricks, this will help give you a random look.. strike the putty knife across, smoothing over portions of brick and into the mortar joints in between..

After allowing it to dry for a about 10 minutes, take a damp cloth and rub those areas where you want the brick to be more exposed... you can reapply if you take off too much..  Also, use the knife to fill in the corner joints and shape with your finger as necessary. Play with it till you get the coverage you like..

and VOILA...

I'm in love!

• Page Bellamy

I'm wondering why you didn't "brick" the bottom half?

• Robyn Garner

Personally, I don't like the look of wood stoves and your upper makeover is terrific. I think you should continue on and brick the lower portion if you use the wood stove. Good job!

• TheSeamstress

I'm just wondering if you still use it to burn would. I noticed you covered the vent and this would be unsafe it you did still burn wood in it. Perhaps you just remove the rustic sign when burning? It does look very nice.

• Jessie

We do still use the wood burning stove that is under the tile frame.. there are two other vents on either side and I really don't need to remove the sign, mainly because when we do use the stove, the doors are open and the heat simply comes out from the front... there is also a fan of some sort inside the frame that we plug in to move the air inside that frame.. but yes that sign can be easily removed.. Thanks !

• Susie

Did you seal the brick at all! Polyurethane?

• Jessie

Nope, I have not sealed it and do not plan to. In it's location it will not be getting a lot of contact at all, so I'm not really concerned about it!

• Patricia

This is a great solution for your problem. It looks so much better. I think your mantel decor looks really nice. The topiaries go nicely with the mirror. I would have covered that front vent, too. In our house (we're in the process of selling now), my husband took the old gold glass screen off the fireplace 🔥 and painted it black. What an amazing difference that made for us.

• Itsmemic

that came out great !! I have a real brick wall behind a pot belly stove in my middle room. I hate it ! It makes the small room so dark. THIS is going to be my answer. I hate the look of white paint on brick...so this will look more natural and rustic like my home !! And How simple to use spackling paste too !! Can't wait til hubby goes to work this weekend to start this :) Thanks !!